AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Watched 15 MINUTES on HD PPV (DTV 199) last night.

the ONLY positive comments i have about this experience was the GREAT PQ! (and Charlize Theron speaking in Afrikaans)

sharp, colorful, "punchy" and 2.35 OAR! - i would be happy if everything looks like this

at the conclusion, i switched to HBO HD which was playing THE CONTENDER.

wow - what a difference - soft / washed out in comparison. quite startling. especially since it was ALSO playing in OAR.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
boss,

I watched the preview of "15 Minutes" in OAR on Dish PPV last month. It definitely gets my vote for PQ. From what I saw in the first 6 to 7 minutes, this is one of the better transfers I have ever seen. Definitely worth a look.

"15 Minutes" in OAR on Dish PPV - Superb PQ

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
boss,

I can't seem to stay up late enough to catch the movies on HDNet. What time are they on?

Chris

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by CCLAY
boss,

I can't seem to stay up late enough to catch the movies on HDNet. What time are they on?

Chris
this is a VERY well guarded secret, so i may get in trouble for spilling the beans - but, every evening starting at 11pm PT, DirecTV shows 3 different PPV titles in a row on channel 199.

they do not mention this in any of the flyers or program info they send out.

someone messed up, because they are now showing 199 info on their online guide - but made it so slow & cumbersome to use that their secret is still safe ;)

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
Sounds like it's time for me to check into HD recording on the 'ol HTPC. That or get a swing shift job. :)

Chris

·
Registered
716 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by bossmonkey
Watched 15 MINUTES on HD PPV (DTV 199) last night.

the ONLY positive comments i have about this experience was the GREAT PQ! (and Charlize Theron speaking in Afrikaans)

sharp, colorful, "punchy" and 2.35 OAR! - i would be happy if everything looks like this

at the conclusion, i switched to HBO HD which was playing THE CONTENDER.

wow - what a difference - soft / washed out in comparison. quite startling. especially since it was ALSO playing in OAR.
Boss;

Can't agree totally with you on this; The OAR transfer was good but not the best I've seen on PPV; I think that honor goes to "Small Time Crooks" which was showing earlier this year on PPV, and the PQ was stunning. Additionally I think "15 Minutes" is an extremely underated movie; I thought the crooks were played to perfection and de Nero and Burns were very convincing in the lead roles. The underlying theme (of everyone trying to have their "15 minutes of fame") seemed slightly throwaway, but that for me didn't matter because as a whole the movie was very tightly directed.

Generally speaking the movies shown on DTV PPV are a pretty limp selection; normally ones that didn't gross big at the Box Office, presumably because they would cost them more to show.

Greg

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.