AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm toying with the idea of getting a satellite system with HD to replace my cable system. I own a Davis DLX650 XGA DLP projector , which does not accept HD input. I drive this projector from an HTPC for DVDs, plus I have a TV card and dScaler for cable. This projector only has S-video (with a crappy scaler) and VGA inputs.

If I wanted to get OTA HDTV, I would just get an OTA HD card like Hipix or AccessTV. I'm wondering what would be involved if instead I wanted to get HDTV from a satellite feed? I see that some of these HD satellite receiver boxes have VGA out. Is it just a matter of getting a VGA switcher, and switching between either my HTPC or my satellite receiver to my projector? What kind of signal is sent over the VGA connector?

For XGA projectors/TVs that don't understand HDTV, can they be used easily?

Thanks!

Mike

------------------

Join the NYC-area HT club! Send me e-mail!

[This message has been edited by mflaster (edited 07-12-2001).]

·
Registered
9,884 Posts
For an inexpensive experiment, the WinTV-d cards can sometimes be found for only about $50. They aren't at all real HDTV but if you are only going to output down rezzed to s-video I believe they can do that.

I had one and once tried it outputting through svideo (I think, maybe composite). It obviously wasn't HD but it was probably as close as you can get through svideo.

In many ways it looked better through s-video than it did on the desktop where its lack of deinterlacing became too obvious. And it's cheap. ;-)

- Tom

------------------

Getting started:
HTPC FAQ , DScaler , Xcel's Links , and
What's Wrong with Copy Protection .

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tom - I'm a little confused. If I were to use a WinTV-D card, wouldn't I just have it put the image on the overlay of the HTPC, and hence the image would go over VGA? Why would I output it over S-video, unless that was the only way to do it?

Also, I thought that a WinTV-D card took a 'raw' (i.e. OTA) signal, whereas I was imagining that a Dish HD receiver would output some kind of decoded signal? I can't see how you would take the output of a satellite receiver and send it into a WinTV-D card - what kind of inputs does the card have?

Were you answering a different question than what I was intending to ask? Or are you implying that it's pretty much impossible to utilize my VGA input on my projector for HDTV, either with or without an HTPC?

Mike

------------------

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Am I very confused? Doesn't the VGA output from a satellite HD receiver have to have embedded in it a refresh rate and a resolution? Or is it not your typical VGA analog signal?

Mike

------------------

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.