AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been in a few electronics/TV outlets in the past couple of days (Hitachi and Mits HDTV's) and been looking at the HDTV's whilst a salesman was giving their pitch to some very interested customers. They of course paint a very rosey picture about the HD units, I'm sure partly becaue they're not fully briefed yet on the news. My inclination is to butt-in and say that both the TV's and STB's will be obsolete in a few months. But the sales guys have to make a living. Do you mention it to the potential buyers?

------------------

"You can't argue with a confident man"

- Napoleon Wilson, Assault on Precinct 13

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
Yes.

·
Registered
433 Posts
I'm not so sure. By doing this, in a sense, you're playing right into Hollywood's hands. The fewer analog sets are in consumer's hands, the more easily they can be obsoleted. By telling people to wait and buy a DTCP or HDCP enabled set, you are more or less helping promote this crap, as well. Granted, that might not be your intent, but it sure seems like that will be the result.

I'd much rather be talking people out of buying a DTCP or HDCP set, just like I would have done if it were a DIVX DVD player!

·
Registered
292 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by HiDefGuy:
My inclination is to butt-in and say that both the TV's and STB's will be obsolete in a few months. But the sales guys have to make a living. Do you mention it to the potential buyers?
NO.

To say the TVs and STB will be obsolete in a few months would be just as misleading as the salesman. Nothing takes months. Much of what is discussed in this forum are people's opinions. Even if every worse case scenario came true, it will be years before the current equipment starts to become obsolete. There is not even a planned STB with the proper connections yet and only Sony is coming out with monitors that are ready. It is very possible this will change again. Sony is only doing this to push through there choice. They have tried to establish standards before and failed many times in the past. Let things run their course before shouting "the sky is falling"

It is OK to pass along facts, but be very careful when you are spreading opinions. You could do more damage then good.

Joe

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.