AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a Dish 600 for Showtime HD and CBS HD. It is hooked up to a JVC D-ILA G15. I have noticed that CBS HD appears to look better in 720p as opposed to 1080i. The image is softer, a little less detail, but none of the graininess. Does anyone have any thoughts, experience, preferences. I always thought 1080I was supposed to be better than 720p. Now I am not sure.

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
When you say "just bought" it sounds like you havent yet had a chance to view alot of different offerings on CBS. You'll find that graininess varies alot from show to show. Just the nature of it. The way it was originally shot, the way it was transferred, etc.

Check out some of the College football in HD today if you can..or The District tonight. Last season, as scripted shows go, The District was consistently one of the best looking shows going.

------------------

Dan

Mitsubishi 55805

Dish 6000

DirecTv/Mitsu SR-HD400

Evu 6000

·
Registered
148 Posts
Rick,

There is a lot of discussion about which is better and how you define better. For me it boils down to progressive vs. interlaced. My set does both and I leave it in 720p almost exclusively. It is a little softer, little less detailed, but much more pleasing to my eyes. It's really a personal preference.

Brian

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Dish is most definately in 1080i both cbs and showtime. What you are seeing is just the natural differences in picutre quality from show to show. Watch CSI sometime. If you still think it looks like 720p then its your TV and not the shows.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
The image apparently looks "better" to you because you're using a format (720p) with somewhat less spatial resolution than the one in which the program was originally scanned from the film. Thus, the film grain is less visible, which is better as far as you're concerned.

But remeber that, in most case, the grain is there because the director wants you to see it. The HD system is doing a faithful job of reproducing it on your system. If you don't like it, then your beef is with the director, not 1080i.

I find it ironic that some folks that are passionate about OAR aspect ratios, so that they can view things "as the director intended", also complain about visible grain. After all, the director intended the audience to see the grain, too, right?

If someone has a flexible system capable of doing both 1080i and 720p, probably the best thing to do is to view ABC in 720p, and everything else in 1080i. There are fewer format conversions that way.

------------------

You have a right to install OTA and dish antennas on property under your control.

See http://www.fcc.gov/csb/facts/otard.html

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.