AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at getting into the HD-DVD scene and wonder which player will get me a better picture out of the 360 HD-DVD add on or one of the cheaper toshiba players on my Panisonic AE900u. This projector is native 720p but can accept 1080i and 1080/24p. I have the VGA cable for my 360 already which looks great for upconverting DVDs. With the current $40 coupon at CC, I can get the add-on for ~$160. Is the PQ and SQ of the toshiba worth the extra ~$300? I'd have to save up quite a bit longer to go the toshiba route. Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
557 Posts
Hi there,


I have a Panny 900 and an A1. I say go for the Toshiba becasue it has an HDMI out which, if the image constraint token is ever used will allow you to view any future disc that may have the component HD disabled. Also if your receiver doesn't have an HDMI input and you'd like to play back Dolby TrueHd or any future advanced audio codec you may want to get a player that has analog 5.1 or 7.1 out.


Hope this helps.


Elio
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,749 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliocon /forum/post/0


Hi there,


I have a Panny 900 and an A1. I say go for the Toshiba becasue it has an HDMI out which, if the image constraint token is ever used will allow you to view any future disc that may have the component HD disabled. Also if your receiver doesn't have an HDMI input and you'd like to play back Dolby TrueHd or any future advanced audio codec you may want to get a player that has analog 5.1 or 7.1 out.


Hope this helps.


Elio

i have the 900 and the a1. works for me.


would recommend looking at the a2 if analog outs are not needed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How much difference would I notice between the sound coming out of the 360 add-on compared to the DD+ through optical or 5.1 analog outs on the A1?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
557 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by micah3sixty /forum/post/0


Where can you get a new or used A1 for cheap, say cheaper than $400?

Amazon.com has it for 399. Check pricegrabber.com
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
302 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by micah3sixty /forum/post/0


I have the VGA cable for my 360 already which looks great for upconverting DVDs. With the current $40 coupon at CC, I can get the add-on for ~$160.

My Panny 900 works great w/ Add-On thru VGA; I run @ 768p to fill entire screen, w/ no noticable degredation. Sorry, I have no eperience w/ any Tosh HD players.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What do you notice differently from your A1 vs the add-on? I had heard that the 720p scaler in the A1 isn't as good as the one in the Panny.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
295 Posts
I just got the add-on in and its really great so far , no probs. But it does seem to lack frame skipping and a zoom function.This ofcourse could be added through a update at a later time like 1080P/24.


Or it could be they are there but i did not find them yet but they dont seem to be there?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
GlennRW,


What projector are you using your add-on with? I saw your thread and that you imported your add-on.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
295 Posts
I use it in combination with a Panasonic AE900 projecting a 130" screen.

I also have the Oppo 971H for SD-DVD but i dont expect to buy much of those anymore.


It doesnt get better then that until the day i can pony up the money for a 3-chipped DLP.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
116 Posts
I have the AE900 and both the HD-A1 and 360 addon.


Picture quality wise, there is only a very slight difference between the two, with the HD-A1 (via HDMI) being slightly clearer than the 360 (via component).


Sound is a different story, with the HD-A1 producing a noticable better sound.


The other thing is that the 360 is louder than the HD-A1, I wouldn't want to use it for quiet movies if your rack is close to your seating.


Cheers,


Andrew.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
45 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayadub /forum/post/9573243


Has anyone actually been able to get the Panny to accept a 1080/24P signal? I have Toshiba HD-A1 and Sony BDP-S1 hooked up via HDMI but can't get it to accept the signal from the Sony.

Has anyone had an luck with this? I am trying to see if I can get 1080P/24 on my Panny AE900U using the HDMI connection from my XBOX 360, but it doesn't allow me to change the resolution on the projector menu and the XBOX console initially let me chose 1080P when I first set it up....but that wasn't with the Panny. Am I missing something!?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
128 Posts
I upgraded from an xbox hd-dvd player to a toshiba hd-a30 and the difference was staggering, even on a lowly panasonic ae900 at 720p. I thought that the hd-dvd addon for xbox360 was supposed to be as good as any standalone when it came to picture quality - but in my direct experience it is not.


Buy as new a standalone as you can afford.

The xbox addon just doesn't compare.

Standalones look sharper and sound a lot better.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,507 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by byrddogx /forum/post/12485075


Has anyone had an luck with this? I am trying to see if I can get 1080P/24 on my Panny AE900U using the HDMI connection from my XBOX 360, but it doesn't allow me to change the resolution on the projector menu and the XBOX console initially let me chose 1080P when I first set it up....but that wasn't with the Panny. Am I missing something!?

Can the 360 output 1080/24? I was under the impression that it couldn't.


-Brad
 
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top