AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I got my Satellite installed today no problem....DEMO channel 199 is great but unfortunately I couldn't lock onto any signals for OTA in San Diego. My Antenna is a Winegard GS-2000 with preamp. The highest signal strength I could get was about 44% on the ABC DTV 25 channel the rest were under 10%. My question now is should I raise my antenna higher?? Right now it's about 3 feet off the edge of the roof were my dish is. Should I get a mast and get it above the roof line?? The installers of my satellite said it wont help but I disagree. If that fails any other smaller antennas I could try??

Thanks for the replies http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

·
Registered
136 Posts
Try the Channel master 4221 bowie antenna with a CM titan 7775 pre amp. Get a 5ft. mast from Home depot. This will work wonders for you. I'm in Carson, CA. and I'm getting all Los Angeles and San Diego DTV channels. Make sure you have nothing that blocks the antenna signalling. Causing any multipath or signal bouncing from your roof. Also try going to this site: www.antennaweb.org or www.titantv.com

this will show you where to aim and point the antenna. And if your'e still having problems locating the signals, it's wise to invest on a antenna rotator from Radio Shack.

Hope this helps.

------------------

PeterDz

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I must also add that I fear that my area suffers from severe multipath due to the fact that there are like 3 mountains in front of my house and the towers on Mt Soledad.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Your tentative assumption that you, too, may be in digital-hell could be the case. Unfortunately the explanation doesn't get you any closer to a solution. Consider talking to a local antenna installer just in case there's a solution. You could end up wasting a lot more money by going the antenna-of-the-month route on your own than paying an expert who's familiar with reception problems in your area.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Marcello,

I'm sorry to hear that you are having reception problems. I live close to you in Escondido, west of 15, north of Via Rancho, but facing the same mountains. I have been able to pick up all five San Diego digital channels pretty reliably using the Channel Master 4220 & preamp combo that Peter mentioned, for about a year and a half.

Antenna positioning in all axes is critical, though. Movement of a couple of feet in any direction can have dramatic effect on your reception. I have mine mounted in the attic, and haven't had to touch it in many months (knock on wood).

Good Luck

Vic W.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Did anyone else notice a drastic improvement in reception on KFMB (CBS) last? They've been broadcasting at lower power to save energy, and then they had some problems with their encoder. I normally have a spotty signal strength of 40-50 on my Dish 6000, but last night it was steady at 85-90. When I checked later, the signal strength was back in the 40's, but it was a non-HD show (48 hours) that was airing. I'm very close to Vic in SW Escondido.

Kit

San Diego, CA

·
Registered
405 Posts
Greg,

KFMB has been running 85-90 for me., but tonight about 8:20 the signal dropped out very suddenly and completely, then came back on in the 40's. It's the first time I've seen the power that low. When they announced about a month or more ago that they were temporarily lowering power to conserve electricity, I didn't see a dramatic dropoff like tonight. I rather suspect they are having some problems with the transmitter at the moment.

I agree that KNSD is the weakest for us, but they are farther (further?) away, and have been operating at very low power from the beginning.

Vic W.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.