AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

HD OTA in North Dallas

543 views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  Mike K 
#1 ·
I've read that KERA has increased their signal strength. I still can not get a signal. Additionally my signal strength varies considerably for KTVT to the point that I loose signal lock. All other stations' come in strong and only vary 2 to 3 points. I use a rooftop antenna and live off Genstar (a little north of Preston/Frankford).

Anyone in this area receiving KERA and CBS without problems? If so, any suggestions to resolve these problems would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Neil

#2 ·
Neil,

Up here in Frisco, I'm able to get all six of the Dallas DTV channels with no problem. The only occasional issue I get is WFAA (the only VHF channel in the bunch) drop-outs from time to time. Since KERA boosted their signal again the other day, it's been perfect.

There have been issues reported with KTVT lately on DHTG , so you might want to check it out over there.

Note: I'm using a cheap Radio Shack attic antenna and getting 90s with most of the channels.

Hope this helps.

Roddie

#3 ·
I'm a little further north of you, in Plano just near Plano West Senior High School. I have a Hughes E-86 (same as the Toshiba DST3000) with a Channel Master antenna in the attic. My KERA signal is marginal - before their transmitter power increase it was showing 21 on my strength meter and would not lock. Now it's around 30 - I get a lock but there are many break-ups in the picture. I have no problem receiving any of the other stations - the WFAA signal is weaker than the others (55% on the meter), everything else is at close to 100.

#4 ·
I wonder where KERA broadcasts from? I live in far-west Flower Mound, about halfway across to Fort Worth. Since the initial boost of power I have been able to get KERA perfectly (although I don't know the signal strength). I have previously been able to receive all of the other DFW digital stations without significant problems.

Of course, I have the advantage of being at a "high point" of sorts in the area. I can see both downtown Dallas and Fort Worth from my rooftop. Maybe if you put up a really tall tower....

#5 ·
BTDT,
Quote:
I wonder where KERA broadcasts from?
All of the channels are transmitted from Cedar Hill. You can find a really good list of the channels and their info here.

I'm not sure why people are so hot and cold with KERA reception though. One of their engineers participates on the DHTG forum, so it might be worth a shot.

Roddie

#6 ·
Well the signals must be floating around my house. Does anyone know of a good OTA antenna person who could determine and resolve (hopefully) my lack of signal or any suggestions from people who have done it themselves.

Thanks,

Neil

#7 ·
You might want to give the people at ElectroTex a call. They are at Forest and Greenville, and they are quite knowledgable about antenna matters.

I live around Coit and McDermott (right south of 121) and I get all the channels at a watchable level even though my antenna is in my attic, rather than on my roof.

I have a Channelmaster model (not sure of the exact model) currently. I used to have a crappy RCA antenna that I bought from Home Depot. Once I replaced the antenna and did some re-positioning I was able to get a great signal. A misalignment of just a few degrees can make a big difference.

Quote:
Originally posted by nerbe
Well the signals must be floating around my house. Does anyone know of a good OTA antenna person who could determine and resolve (hopefully) my lack of signal or any suggestions from people who have done it themselves.

Thanks,

Neil

#8 ·
I can't get KERA (14-1) either, and i live on Northwest hwy @ 75 Central with a Channel Master Stealthtenna on top of my appartment building (shhhhhh).... I can get CBS channel 19-1 just fine, which doesn't make since because i thought they were coming from the same tower.... I think my problem is i'm to close to downtown and the tall buildings are in-between me and the tower farm....

-Troy

#9 ·
Wow - Lots of different reports. I'm beginning to think that Frisco is a little higher up elevation-wise because I'm the furthest away from Cedar Hill so far, yet I get the channels fine.

FWIW - I've got a Radio Shack VU-90 Antenna ($24), literally thrown up into my attic. I didn't mount or point it really, I just tossed it up there and put it in the direction that I figure Cedar Hill is in. It's basically just sitting on the beams and it's definitely not level. Or maybe I'm just lucky. :D

Hope this helps...

Roddie

#10 ·
I repointed my antenna using KERA as the reference and got the signal strength up to 51 (Hughes E-86) which gives me a lock and a good picture with (currently) no breakups. My WFAA signal went up to 80+ at the same time.

As far as I know the KERA transmitter is much lower power than anything of the other digital stations so even though it is on the same tower as CBS the signal is weaker. Just a little extra elevation on the receiving antenna can make a lot of difference.

#12 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by nerbe
I still can not get a signal. Additionally my signal strength varies considerably for KTVT to the point that I loose signal lock. All other stations' come in strong and only vary 2 to 3 points. I use a rooftop antenna and live off Genstar (a little north of Preston/Frankford).
You're not alone. I live around Westgrove and the Tollway, and

I can't get either station either. I have no trouble with all other

stations.

I have a DST50 and so don't have any signal strength numbers

to state. But the bottom line is that KERA-DT and KTVT-DT are

still too weak or blocked (by Galleria-area new buildings) for

me to get.

At one time with my GE Max antenna aimed just so, I was able

to receive KTVT-DT during the day. At night it disappeared.

Next week I'm going to have my antenna guy come back out and

bring a DTC-100 with him so that I can "coach" him on re-aiming

the antenna into a "compromise" orientation. Hopefully I will

be able to get one or both of these stations without losing

the others I'm currently receiving with no problem.

Otherwise, perhaps magic will happen when KERA and KTVT

finally do go to full power on the final tower.

#13 ·
I live up close to Van Alstyne about 15 miles North of Mckinney. I get all the stations fine. KERA comes in at about 60. It does have periodic breakup. I have a 20+ year old top of line (at the time) RS antenna mounted on the roof. I am pretty high, relatively speaking of course.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.