AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in NYC and I was litterally days from purchasing my HDTV when the WTC came down. Now those plans have been put on hold until I find out if I can get ABC, CBS and NBC - OTA HD. Does anyone here know what or if any feeds are available to us here in Manhattan?

·
Registered
651 Posts
WCBS-DT is available from ESB. It is the only national network that 's been truly commited to HDTV for 2+ years by now.

Another available OTA DT channel is Fox and Wwor (?),

both have absolutely nothing to offer in HD.

ABC, NBC & PBS are both off air since the Sept 11 and

noone will tell you when they are coming back. Estimates

range from few months to 2 years.

OTA, both SD and HD is a complete mess in the tri-state,

ever since the attack. Estimates are 30% of population are

unable to receive OTA, even though all SD (NTSC) channels

are back on the air, due to inferior antenna location in Alpine

NJ.

Bringing back sweet memories of what all of us were before the

attack. wonderful community of Alpine is refusing to allow much needed additions to their tower - this is why the DT is still off air.

Faced with this outpouring of patriotism and Alpine's mediocre location, networks are now considering migration to ESB, that does seem to have the reqd space, but no required electrical power (ETA: months) or building their very own 2000feet tower on Ellis Island or Fresh Kills dump on SI (ETA: 2Y).

Both NBC and ABC announced some new shows to air

in HD @ prime time for this season, but nowhere close to what CBS has had. I do miss occasional Leno and NYPD.

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rashid11
Both NBC and ABC announced some new shows to air

in HD @ prime time for this season, but nowhere close to what CBS has had.
I wouldn't say that ABC's commitment is "nowhere close" to CBS'. On a typical week ABC presents 10 hours of prime time HDTV, and CBS 13. This does not include sports or movies. CBS has the edge with HD sports, but ABC does more HD movies. Overall I would say that ABC's commitment is very close to CBS'. Not the same mind you, but close. CBS does get the bragging rights for being the pioneer, though.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Quote:
I think I remember someone saying you might be able to get a signal from Philadelphia's ABC affiliate. Problem is, how do you find out the coordinates to aim your antenna?
In reply:

Antennaweb

·
Registered
302 Posts
Well, thanks for the link, but since I live on Long Island, inputting my address in the signal finder database wouldn't help me determine what coordinates I should point to for capturing the signal from Philadelphia. I've heard that people on Long Island have been able to grab the signal from Philadelphia, so I'm trying to do the same, but I don't know where Philadelphia's HD is being broadcast.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Thanks again. Problem is, I don't know the actual location of the antenna in Philadelphia. I live on Long Island, and I'm trying to get a signal from another state, which is the problem. I probably won't be able to get the signal, but I think it's a worth a try. Especially considering I'm missing a lot of stuff I'd really like to see in HD such as NYPD Blue, ABC movies, etc. Does anyone know the actual location of the HD transmitter for Philadelphia? So I can input it into one of the sites along with my location, and find the coordinates to point to?

·
Registered
269 Posts
Philadelphia ABC is at 40-02-33N/75-14-33W, in the Roxborough neighborhood a few miles northwest of downtown.

If you're on Long Island, might you be closer to WTNH-DT in New Haven, Connecticut? They're on channel 10 (so if you don't have a VHF antenna that would be a problem) at 41-25-22N/72-57-06W.

·
Premium Member
1,251 Posts
What's the most cost effective way to get OTA HDTV (CBS only, I gather), if I live in lower Manhattan? An RCA box on ebay and what kind of antenna? I'll be moving next year and don't want to buy a dish.

Suggestions appreciated.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Hdtvmaniac, The link I gave is quite clear. From my house in East Setauket, Long Island, NY,

the heading to Phili is 239.6 degrees west southwest. Whether it is a little outside the city really dosent matter

at this distance (125 miles). A degree or two really doen't matter. You will get the main heading

but, as always, alittle fine tuning is required.

As to getting ABC, definitely try New haven Conn. (10.1). VHF antennas are not expensive. They (WTNH-DT)

have stepped up their efforts of late and the signal is decent.

Gebstr83

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.