AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I just upgraded to HD (new TV, new satellite receiver).

DirecTV installed the Wineguard OTA antenna on the roof and I am lucky if I get in 2 or 3 or the 18 feeds I am supposed to receive here in the Detroit area. I have gone up on the roof and re-aimed the OTA antenna, but it doesn't do much good. Yesterday, I had all the stations in HD for about 30 minutes then it went back to searching for a signal on 15 of them.

I went to one of the antenna web sites and noticed I am within 13 miles of almost of all of the signal originations so I would think I should be able to get them in.

Any troubleshooting pointers you can help me with?

-Darren

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
Some posters have reported that is also possible to have too strong an OTA signal with some ATSC tuners. You might try just some rabbit ears connected to your STB

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
Check the local reception forum here for a thread for your area, it will put you in contact with others getting the same channels you want, you can get ideas from them on what type of antenna you'd want to try out...

·
Registered
3,738 Posts
You can check whether strong signals are overloading your receiver by inserting an attenuator in your antenna feed. Radio Shack has a variable attenuator (small box with a dial) for $10 or so.

Also, if you have large buildings in the vicinity, you may have multipath problems (reflected signals interfering with the direct signals). In that case you may need to switch to a highly directional antenna with a rotator.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.