Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I've been struggling with receiving OTA HDTV reception at my location for over a year now, and I've reached an impasse. I've asked this question in some other newsgroups and thought I'd throw it past you people to see if you have any suggestions. Here's the lowdown...

I live in Sierra Madre, a suburb of Pasadena located in the foothills of the San Gabriel mountains less than five miles east of the location of the Los Angeles metro broadcast towers (over Altadena).

According to antennaweb, at my location all the HD channels are in the "red" code, or medium directional antenna.

I have a Channelmaster, two mesh UHF bowtie antenna (I think eight bowties or so) hooked up to an RCA DTC-100 receiver. I've also experimented with many other antennas. The antenna is on a 15-foot mast from the chimney on top of my single-story house. There are no tall buildings or trees in the direct line of sight, and my immediate area is a gentle incline toward the San Gabriels.

Try as I might, however, I have never been able to receive more than KNBC and KCET (as well as a couple SD channels like KMEX and KSCI), both of which come in at pretty strong intensities -- KNBC at 71 and KCET at 88.

No other channels come in at all. My receiver doesn't even read so much as the faintest signal strength. They're utterly dead. This includes CBS, ABC, FOX, UPN, and WB.

The issue appears to be Mount Wilson, part of the San Gabriels, more or less between my location and that of the broadcast towers a few miles away.

My question (or rather plea) is if anyone has any suggestions on how I might be able to rope in the elusive signals from -- particularly -- CBS and ABC.

I've tried an antenna pre-amp, a signal booster, I've tried moving the antenna location (a little), and I got a guy out from Ken Crane's who took a signal reading and thought that the UHF signals were good enough to get all the channels (he was perplexed at his failure to do so).

It's incredibly frustrating that I can NBC and PBS so well, and so easily (even with rabbit ears), but that the other channels are so completely dead.

Any hints or suggestions or anything whatever would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Raphael Tehan

Sierra Madre, Los Angeles county

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow, thanks much for the link. I have a lot to digest and it's fantastic to see such specific reports for the Los Angeles area.

Thanks again!

Raphael

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.