AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am using a Samsung SIR T-151 with a Sharp Z9000 and OTA antenna. The signal reception in the Dallas, TX area is pretty good from where I live. I get the major networks and a few other channels extremely well with a great picture. However, some channels have a "fuzzy" or out of focus appearance.

I have ruled out the gear since other channels are fine. Can anyone tell me why certain channels come in that way? Signal strength is not a problem. Just a bad picture.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I'm in Dallas (M-streets). Tell me what channels look fuzzy and I'll take a look at those channels tonight. My setup is Zenith SAT520 (OTA ant in attic) using component inputs to a Sony KV40XBR700.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I'm in Dallas as well, and generally get great picture quality on all channels. However, i've noticed certain programming on some channels that will look fuzzy. The Rangers broadcasts on 27 can look especially bad, but other stuff on 27 will look decent. Anyway, i think it's more a function of the programming than the channel. I too use a 151 for OTA fed into a Sammy DLP.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm over in Bedford and channel 27 is kind of fuzzy but looks alright if I change over to 27-1. Sat HD520 with a Winegard hd7084p antenna mounted on the roof peak....

Eddie

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for responses. Currently 39-1 and 51-1 are bad. However, I have seen other channels with poor quality at different times of the day. I don't know the technical details of what the stations do to send the digital signal. As I said, some channels are great, fortunately, it is the HD channels and the major tv stations. Others don't seem to do so well in encoding the signal or something because I get those type of fuzzy pictures every now and then on some of those odd channels.

·
AVS Forum Special Member
11,139 Posts
Might be you're seeing either upconverted 720p or 1080i, or it might even be digital 480i being upconverted by your hardware. Broadcasters upconvert 480 using pro gear that often looks very good, although not as good as HD scanned originally at 1920X1080 or 1280X720. I get a 480i digital channel (PBS Kids) that is fairly fuzzy after upconversion to 1080i by my 3100HD cable converter. It's broadcast digitally, but it's also 4:3. With all the available 'stretch'/upconversion options available now, 1080i/720p images may appear as 16:9 but may have started out as 4:3 480. NBC here delivers upconverted 1080i that's optically zoomed to about ~15:9, almost filling my 16:9 screen. -- John

·
Registered
8,864 Posts
Even if the station is upconverting, there may still be ghosting/bluriness in the signal. This originates in the analog equipment long before the digital converter gets hold of the signal.

HDC

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you. I was afraid of that.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.