AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having some problems with my OTA setup and was wondering if anyone has any suggestions.

I have Dish 6000 with the OTA module hooked up to my Mits. set. We have quite a few digital channels in the Dallas area, and most of them come in just fine. But two of them are on VHF channels (9 and 14). On these channels, I get frequent drop outs.

I have moved my antenna to the highest place I can in my attic. (HOA rules prohibit external antennas). This improved the signal strength somewhat, but still have the problem. The signal strength on these two channels usually runs 65-72 %. The other channels are usually in the 90's.

I also have an amplifier on my antenna -- albeit a RadShack model. The antenna I have is a good-sized directional antenna that is aimed at all the towers for our area.

There are rare occasions when the reception on these channels is good, but not very often.

There is also a ham radio operator a few doors down, and I'm wondering if this could be effecting my reception. What is strange is that the picture can look great at 65% for minutes, then stay at 65% and still break up. Maybe the glitch is too short for the signal strength meter to pick up.

I have talked to the dealer that I got my 6000 from, and he says he has similar problems at his shop. The TV stations say they have only heard this from 6000 owners.

Does anybody have any suggestions on how I can figure this out? I'd really like to know what is going on. I'd get a better antenna or amplifier if I had good evidence this would help, but I'm not sure it would at this point.

Thanks,

Steve

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by sam1404
(HOA rules prohibit external antennas)
HOA's cannot prevent you from installing any kind of external antenna or dish in your property. It's against FCC regulations, which supercede all state and local ordinances, and especially an HOA, which is not even a government agency. HOA regulations are unenforceable in this regard.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Steve,

Quote:
But two of them are on VHF channels (9 and 14). On these channels, I get frequent drop outs.
Actually, only 9 (WFAA) is VHF, 14 (KERA) is UHF.

KERA will be upgrading their signal strength again around the beginning of November, which should give you enough for a stable picture.

WFAA is aware of the drop-outs issue and the tech down there mentioned coming out to the field to do some tests.

You can find some more information at the DHTG .

Roddie

·
Registered
224 Posts
I don't know about the possibility of ham radio interference; but you will likely be helped by improving the signal strength. The higher signal strength you get, the fewer dropouts you will have.

You mention having an amplifier, but where is this installed? You really need this installed close to the antenna. Noise is introduced on the cable from the antenna to the receiver (perhaps ham radio interference would come into play here; I don't know). An amp installed close to the receiver will amplify this noise along with the signal. There are posts on this site indicating that in such a case, you do more harm than good to digital channels. These folks had better results without an amp.

Are you running a separate line for the antenna, or using a diplexer? Separate lines are reported to do better, although many people (such as myself) use a diplexer. If you DO use a diplexer, consider a combo unit that also amplifies the OTA antenna input, such as Channel Master 4007IFD.

You can always get a better antenna.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Steve, I am also in Plano, I had to mount a

rooftop antenna to fix my reception problems.

I had a GIANT one in the attic that wasn't enough.

I used a wineguard conventional broadband

antenna. As mentioned earlier fcc regulations

allow you to place an antenna on your property,

so just do it. The HOA nazi's will have to

get over it. :)

Jon.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I would hold off on upgrading anything - If you're getting 90s with the other 5 DTV channels, then I think your setup is fine. I'm up in Frisco with an attic antenna and have the exact same results as you.

KERA's issue will be solved short-term (in two weeks, they say), they just boosted the signal two weeks ago to where I could reach it, and that was part of a two phase upgrade.

WFAA is anyone's guess, but I know that their engineer reads this board as well as the DHTG stuff and is very responsive. There are a couple of threads on DHTG with WFAA discussions recarding this.

Alternatively, since WFAA is VHF, you might be able to band-aid it with a separate VHF antenna and a splitter if you want to make it stable for now.

Roddie

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks to all for the replies.

As for my amplifier, it is up in the attic near the antenna. I might look for something better, but I'll probably wait and see what the KERA signal upgrade does for me. I'll also have to check with the WFAA folks.

Has anyone had better luck with any other brands of equipment? I am wondering if all HDTV receivers are created equally?

I'll also check out the DHTG site when it decides to respond.

Thanks again,

Steve

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.