AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could I get a clarification of what output restrictions there will likely be with the upcoming Dish and DirecTV HiDef hard disk recorders? What problems will copy protection cause, especially for analog front and rear projections TVs? I can't imagine that the TIVO or Dish PVR would be prevented from playing back movies or anything else, to all devices, because the outcry would be swift and angry and dangerous for the studios and networks, but on the other hand I can't see the studios allowing unrestricted copying of their product. With analog output devices, will the resolution be downgraded?

Craig

·
Registered
9,223 Posts
No one knows or those that do are under NDA not to discuss it.

Presently there is no economic means to record analog HDTV in a consumer enviornment. There is also a large installed analog HDTV display infrastructure relative to the number of DVI users.

JMO, I would not expect analog output restrictions to be applied anytime soon. Once HDTV MPEG chip sets on a PCI card come down to under $1000, then there is a valid concern. And be assured that will happen. But within the next five years most of the analog HDTV's will be replaced due to age. After all, the early adopters are the technology hounds. They aren't going to be satisfied with that same old HDTV in five years. That being the case, DVI will be much more wide spread.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.