AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone not like the HD packs on Dish or Driectv? I'm considering getting one or the other primarily for HD. My main interest is the HDNetMovies and Discovery HD. Is Discovery HD just Discovery in HD or is it a whole other channel? And, do you find good movies on the HD movie channel?

I'm also considering the HBO pack to get HBO HD. Thougths on that as well? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ShagnWagon
Voom costs a lot up front right? In the area of $750?
Yep. Regarding the HD package, that's the only way to get 24 hour-a-day HD, HDNet, HDNet Movies, and DHD are the only, D* or E*, full-time HD channels. There's not a lot of HD on HBO HD, and it's hit or miss for me as far as PQ.

Brian

·
Banned
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No ESPN? Do they not realize that my roomate might actually kill me if I got rid of cable and got satellite that had no espn? How can they expect to sell this to guys if there is no espn or fox sports? That alone kills the Voom deal for me. Everything else looked cool...

Back to the orifinal question though, are the HD packs worth it on the other satellites? You say PQ is hit or miss? I dont want to pay for hit or miss...

·
Registered
253 Posts
Shaggy, I think you'll get a lot of differring opinions here, but I will say that I think the HD pack on D* is great! For eleven bucks, I mean, to me that's a joke. There's a lot of good programs on Disc, some eh, HDnet is cool, espn-HD is a MUST if you watch sports, football and baseball are fantastic, but overall, I think the package is 'worth' it. In the near future there will be more programming and more channels. Others may reply right after me and say it's a total waste. I also get HBO-HD, SHO-HD and will be getting CBS and FOX. Let's not debate that one here tho.

Bottom line, if ya have an HDTV and want to see it in action, you need something! Also, if you like football, only D* will have Sunday Ticket exclusively for the next few years.

Good luck!

·
Banned
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have a Sanyo Z2 projecting a 100" and I'm very interested in seeing some HD on it. I guess I just can't decide if I want to go through the hassel of getting satellite or not. I will be moving twice in the next 18 months, so maybe I should wait it out and just buy an OTA receiver...

·
Registered
190 Posts
Here's my 2 cents - and your mileage may vary.

Frankly, I think the $11/month for the D* HD Package is sort of lame. However it is the only thing being offered so those of us with expensive HD inventory hold our nose and subscribe. The fact is that without a way (yet) to record HDTV and "time shift" (allowing me to record at 1 AM for instance to watch at my leasure), I only have a few hours of opportunity to watch someting in HD in that package. And it never fails that the stuff that's on during Prime Time doesn't appeal to me. And ESPNHD is not HD. If you search this forum, you'll see the arguments and opinons about the Stretching of ESPN to fill a screen.

Granted, this is all fairly new and as early adopters, we're all just waiting. D* is committed to offering additional HD. And from everything said out here in the forum, more will be coming this year. Will they raise the cost of the package from $11 to something else? Probably .. but who knows for sure?

You can see what's on in HD at Titan.Tv -- http://titantv.com/TTV/CommandCenter/CommandCenter.aspx

·
Registered
253 Posts
Well, that's another story...but I'd probably get it. D* will move you for free when the time comes. Also, I wouldn't go for too many hookups if you plan on leaving soon. Just one line to that projector and you'll be in biz.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ShagnWagon
Back to the orifinal question though, are the HD packs worth it on the other satellites? You say PQ is hit or miss? I dont want to pay for hit or miss...
I think it's worth it. HD Net has lots of hockey and 1 College B Ball per week. ESPN-HD is adding lots more programming and Discovery HD has different shows then the stnadard channel. HD Net Movies quality is mostly great (depending on the film). But they don't have a lot of the movies I'd like to see.

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by cody21
And ESPNHD is not HD. If you search this forum, you'll see the arguments and opinons about the Stretching of ESPN to fill a screen.
More accurately, their HD is limited. It IS an HD signal. And they DO have HD programs, it's just that the majority of their programming is stretched SD. That is supposed to change when their new studios are complete (this spring??)

But to answer the original question, while I hate paying it for just a handful of channels, I think it's worth it for DiscoveryHD and HDNet alone. I watch those more than anything.

·
Registered
529 Posts
I've been on the Dish HD setup since Discovery-HD was originally launched on Dish in 8/2002 or so. I'm on the DHD, ESPN-HD, and 2 HDNet channels deal for $9.95/mo, plus I get the HBO-HD and SHO-HD. IMO, it is well worth the cost.

Only ESPN-HD really sucks because it seems most of what they broadcast on it is still not in HD, and to make matters worse, they broadcast everything non-HD in widescreen SD stretch mode. Looks like crap.

DHD is very good and getting better. HD-Net is also great. Come on - jump in the water with us!

·
Registered
21 Posts
dish stinks....cablevision rules!!!

free HD, free box, free! free! free!

and more HD channels on the way.....they're leavin dish in their HD dust!!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.