AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

HD Photos

878 views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  tburton 
#1 ·
Does anyone know if there is a way to get a true HD photo from my computer to my HD TV? I know that I can set up a home network and send photos through my Series 2 TiVo, but that gets me a line doubled SD picture, not an HD picture.

#2 ·
Pretty much anything above 1280x720 (or what is needed to resize the screen to fit the display) I would consider HD unless the photo is well less than that.

#3 ·
I'm taking my pictures at a fine jpeg (2560 x 1920) which I would reduce to 1280 x 1024 to take maximum advantage of my 1920 x 1080 screen, so I really do need to transmit an HD picture.

#5 ·
You don't have to reduce any pic. The software that you view those photos with should be able to resize it for you to fit the resolution of your screen automatically if you have it set that way in options/preferences.

#6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce
You don't have to reduce any pic. The software that you view those photos with should be able to resize it for you to fit the resolution of your screen automatically if you have it set that way in options/preferences.
True, but for optimal picture quality, his photo software may do a better job of resizing than the "on-the-fly" software in his viewer.

#7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfart
I'm taking my pictures at a fine jpeg (2560 x 1920) which I would reduce to 1280 x 1024 to take maximum advantage of my 1920 x 1080 screen, so I really do need to transmit an HD picture.
Yes, if you want to retain that resolution before sending it to your Tivo because it will reduce the resolution down to meet it's 480i output, pics still look pretty good when doing this though. I'd suggest trying it out, see how it looks to you. You'd need to use a PC directly connected to the TV as mentioned or something like a Roku Photbridge to send a matching resolution to the TV.

#9 ·
Quote:
True, but for optimal picture quality, his photo software may do a better job of resizing than the "on-the-fly" software in his viewer.
only if he is directly displaying camera raw files or saving in a lossless format. Resizing down to ~1920x1080 and saving as a JPG at about 80% quality will introduce more artifacting than even the basic WinXP photo "on-the-fly" scaler does. If he's only seeing line-doubled 480i, then resampling artifacts created won't be visible, either way.

In fact I'd be surprised if any of us could tell the difference between an image that is 3480x2160 being resized by the Windows XP screensaver/slideshow to fit a 1920x1080 screen and one that has been downsampled in photoshop and saved as a compression-free TIFF image.

#12 ·
Thanks. I've been doing my research and have come up with not only the Roku, but also the Buffalo LinkTheatre and Link Player 2. The BLT supports 802.11g, and seems to offer an easy one button network setup with their WHRG54S router. The Roku has no easy setup and uses only 802.11b equipment. I can't find much comment on the LP2. Any further comments are welcome.

#14 ·
I know, I considered Buffalo, but didn't really need the DVD player. The Roku took all of about 10-15 mimutes to connect up to my network. Just have to enter SSID and WEP key and all is good. I'm sure Buffalo is very similar.

Also, although Roku doesn't currently support 802.11g, a simple ethernet bridge is a viable workaround:

"802.11 Ethernet Bridges

To gain the full benefit of your 802.11g network you can use an Ethernet-to-802.11g Bridge connected to the PhotoBridge HD1000 Ethernet port. A bridge converts the Wired Ethernet to Wi-Fi 802.11g.

Supported 802.11g Bridge:

Linksys WET54G"

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.