AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been reading here regarding the HD quality on Directv. I don't claim to fully understand all of the technical jargon regarding down rezzing, bit rates, bandwidth and all that. Here is my opinion on the various HD channel, judged only by my eyes. By the way, if it matters, my equipment is a Hughes HTL-HD satellite receiver and a Sony Grand Wega III rear-projection LCD display.

Networks (CBS, NBC, FOX, and ABC). Not quite as good as my OTA HD picture, but generally excellent.

YES -HD for the home Yankees games. Stunning. Absolutely the best D* has to offer for PQ.

Discovery HD. Excellent.

ESPN-HD. Usually quite good.

HDNet. Good.

HDNet Movies. Not so good.

Universal HD. Terrible. What is the problem with this channel? It always looks blurry and the colors are all washed out. How can this be high definition?

Are your impressions similar?

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Pretty close Dan. I would say that Discovery HD is very good instead of excellent. The only way you can tell a big difference is comparing providers and having D* before they really started to compress. None of the channels jump out at you like they should.

·
Registered
5,789 Posts
doing a direct comparison between cable (if yours keeps it uncompressed) and dbs shows alot of difference. If you havent seen what HD can look like (uncompressed) then other providers are "good enough" but as soon as you see uncompressed, compressed HD just doesnt look the same.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Back when I had my working antenna before I took it down, I was able to compare ABC OTA vs. D*. ABC was the only channel I was able to pull ota, and when D* added it to my lineup I was able to get rid of the antenna.

Anyway, I was not able to tell a difference between the two. It really was close. Granted I have never seen discovery HD or HDNet besides for D*, but it doesn't look too bad to me.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The purpose of my original post was not to compare D* with other HD providers (notwithstanding my comparsion to the OTA networks from my antenna.) The purpose was to compare the PQ of the various HD channels on D*, ranging from excellent for YES HD to terrible on Universal HD.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
D* picture quality sucks compared to what it used to be. Period. I was one of the first with an DTC-100 when D* started broadcasting in HD (HBO) and I am sad to say that it is really bad now. I had cable for a while (last year) and recorded some HD shows via firewire and so I can compare cable with D* and it is barely HD IMHO. If it wasn't for the crappy 6208 Moto box that Insight uses, I would still be with cable. Only thing stopping me from leaving D* now is my TiVo box that wife and kids use for SD, and its crappy SD as well! I am hoping the new 6412 Moto box that has just comes out can replace the TiVo and then its bye-bye D*. Seems every major HD provider has some gotcha.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by harlenm
Back when I had my working antenna before I took it down, I was able to compare ABC OTA vs. D*. ABC was the only channel I was able to pull ota, and when D* added it to my lineup I was able to get rid of the antenna.

Anyway, I was not able to tell a difference between the two. It really was close. Granted I have never seen discovery HD or HDNet besides for D*, but it doesn't look too bad to me.
Of course ABC looks the same. It's 720p. They don't resolution-reduce 720p (yet). ESPN looks great for the same reason.

I can watch Discovery shows that I have recorded on my TiVo from the 1920x1280 days and they look WAY better than the identical show today. In the old days, you would find yourself watching textures and realize you weren't paying attention to the story anymore. That hasn't happened for about a year now.

But if I watch those old shows again, it still happens, so it's not me getting used to it.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Channel 94 only on during NY Yankee home and certain away games..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.