AVS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone I just purchased my first plasma about 2 weeks ago and now that I am calibrating it I am interested in knowing which hd picture size is the best 1 or 2? I noticed that while I am watching sportcenter and have it on HD 2 the picture does not fill the entire screen on the top and there is just a tad bit of room, but when it is on hd 1 it will fill the whole screen. I want to know what is the best recommended for the HD picture size for both cable and blu rays? thanks

·
Registered
870 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lforigno /forum/post/19608781

Hey everyone I just purchased my first plasma about 2 weeks ago and now that I am calibrating it I am interested in knowing which hd picture size is the best 1 or 2? I noticed that while I am watching sportcenter and have it on HD 2 the picture does not fill the entire screen on the top and there is just a tad bit of room, but when it is on hd 1 it will fill the whole screen. I want to know what is the best recommended for the HD picture size for both cable and blu rays? thanks

HD2 will give you 1:1 pixel mapping and is recommended. HD1 produces overscan which means you lose part of the picture and some resolution. Hit the format button on your remote and make sure you in "FULL" mode.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnymac51 /forum/post/19609359

HD2 will give you 1:1 pixel mapping and is recommended. HD1 produces overscan which means you lose part of the picture and some resolution. Hit the format button on your remote and make sure you in "FULL" mode.

I am in full mode, but I noticed when ESPN is on and I am in HD2 the picture does not fill up the screen at the top, but when I go to HD1 it does. However when I am in HD2 with a blu ray it is perfect. Is this because a blu ray is 1080p and cable is broadcasted as 1080i?

·
Registered
95 Posts
ESPN is providing a "full" signal in the sense that it has the expected resolution (720 or 1080 lines) but some of that is blank space because broadcasters often don't use all of the frame. When you watch in HD Size 2, you are viewing the entire frame including the unused space. HD Size 1 "zooms in" on the frame to crop all 4 sides in order to remove anything on the edges of the frame that is not useful information (or in the case of other content it could be useful information that is lost). However, the cost of this is having to scale the image which reduces quality.

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
HD2 activates 1:1 which lets you actually get 1080p out of your 1080p set. A 1080p test pattern with lines or hooking to a PC will show this clearly. Running HD1 disables the 1080p function of your 1080p set by over-scanning the picture.

·
Registered
139 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Servicetech571 /forum/post/19610567

HD2 activates 1:1 which lets you actually get 1080p out of your 1080p set. A 1080p test pattern with lines or hooking to a PC will show this clearly. Running HD1 disables the 1080p function of your 1080p set by over-scanning the picture.

I am going to inquire with Panasonic about what you have stated above; although it does make sense. But does the cropping = less resolution? Is this not just an overscan adjsutment. Why does it disbale 1080p, I am confused. Please elaborate.

So when I am watching my Bell PVR in HD with HD2 activated I am also seeing top/ side edge with no information (black pixels), will I be subjecting my set to IR or burn-in as I just purchased this past Saturday?

Blu-ray looks perfect in HD2 mode, however.

·
Registered
3,717 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by guida74 /forum/post/19614161

I am going to inquire with Panasonic about what you have stated above; although it does make sense. But does the cropping = less resolution? Is this not just an overscan adjsutment. Why does it disbale 1080p, I am confused. Please elaborate.

So when I am watching my Bell PVR in HD with HD2 activated I am also seeing top/ side edge with no information (black pixels), will I be subjecting my set to IR or burn-in as I just purchased this past Saturday?

Cropping does NOT disable 1080P, this is just nonsense.

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
 http://hd.engadget.com/2007/08/20/do...-pixel-mapping

When you use HD size 1 you are throwing away about 5% of the picture then stretching the other 95% to fill the screen. The picture on a 720p set with 1:1 pixel mapping (1366 x 768) enabled will be SHARPER than a 1080p set not using 1:1 pixel mapping. Isn't the whole point of paying extra for a 1080p to get a sharper image?

Then again few people can really tell the difference between 720p and 1080p at normal viewing distances anyways...

·
Registered
139 Posts
So when I enable HD2 I get some thin black lines around the top and/ or sides of the screen, is this not going to cause some IR/ burn in? I realize it's at the outer edges of the screen but I still don't want risk it. What else can I do to eliminate this but still get 1:1 pixel mapping?

I use my AVR to switch video sources and have a single HDMI going to the display.

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
I've never seen a single TV with Burn-in or IR from this. In fact I've not seen burn in on any newer plasma of anything. I have seen some IR from when people leave games/guide/ticker up for hours on end, but that's about it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was having trouble with picture cropping on my Panasonic plasma and had tried all the available setting options...HD1, HD2, zoom, hfill, centering, full screen...all to no avail. Worst was when Fox showed the NFC playoff game and the game clock and score were shown on the left-hand side of the screen -- cut off! I finally figured out that there were also setting options available on my HD cable box. Playing around with these settings finally gave me the whole picture on my screen. Just in time for Superbowl Sunday!

Go Packers!

·
Registered
131 Posts
I have a Panasonic 46S1. The option to change HD Size is grayed out and only HD Size 1 is changeable. Pretty sure I had already set this to 2. I have 1 HDMI input for tv from Yamaha 667 avr. Is this the Cable HD box affecting this setting ?

·
Banned
345 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by guida74 /forum/post/19614161

Use Size 1 until you have some hours put on your tv. (100-200 hours!) You don't want to risk any IR! Look at it as watching tv with black bars (very thin) at the top, bottom, and sides and panasonic says to avoid this in the owners manual! Just don't risk it for peace of mind if anything! Happy TVing!

·
Registered
794 Posts
Size 1 when watching broadcast TV or regular DVD's, common for both not to fill the entire screen. Size 2 for Blu-ray, HD-DVD, 360 and PS3; basically all non-broadcast HD content.

I really which there was a way to simply toggle between the two.

·
Premium Member
18,322 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avgguy /forum/post/19927383

I have a Panasonic 46S1. The option to change HD Size is grayed out and only HD Size 1 is changeable. Pretty sure I had already set this to 2. I have 1 HDMI input for tv from Yamaha 667 avr. Is this the Cable HD box affecting this setting ?

HD Size 2 is only available when the TV is getting a 1080i or 1080p signal. If you're feeding it 720p, the HD Size setting is grayed out and stuck on HD Size 1. If you see it grayed out, stop and press the INFO key and see what kind of signal the TV says it's getting. Betcha it's 720p.

FWIW, i set my HD DVRs and TivoS3 and upconverting DVD Player all to output 1080i only. It allows HD Size 2 on all sources and content, makes channel changing much faster, and makes all the HD channels look crisper and more detailed.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Wouldn't it be nice if all stations were either 1080i or 720P . Im not sure i like my moto dvr doing scaling when it set to output 1080i and i am tuned to a station with a 720P signal.If only the dvr had an auto pass through.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts