AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please pardon the ignorance. I am having a 42" Dell plasma delivered next week that has an HD tuner built in. I am also getting a HD-DVR from Charter Cable Co. I was wondering if having two HD tuners is going to make the picture worse (some sort of confliction), make the picture better (2 is better than 1 right?), or make no difference at all. Any answer would be appreciated, I just want to have the best picture possible with what I have access to.

Thanks

Adam

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
2 tuners should make no difference at all.

·
Registered
635 Posts
The one in the TV will not be accessed, as you will most likely be hooking up your cable box through a digital input (DVI or HDMI) or through component cables.

·
Registered
4,273 Posts
There will be no interference between the two HD sources, they will just be different input sources. You will hook the HD-DVR cable box to your plasma via component or digital DVI or HDMI connector and get whatever channels the cable company provides.

The internal HD tuner can be used to pick up local digital TV stations over the air (OTA) if you hook up a VHF/UHF antenna to it. Many cable system do not yet carry all the local digital HD stations because of bandwidth or the local station is demanding $ from the cable company for their digital channel. Check the Local HDTV Info and Reception forum for a thread on your area.

For example, the cable company in the county I just moved to does not currently provide the local WB, UPN, or PBS digital stations despite that they all broadcast HD programming. So I am in the process of testing out an antenna setup to pick those stations as well as some of the digital stations in Baltimore with my Samsung ATSC stand-alone tuner. Read some of the other HD hardware or programming forums on here for more info.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.