AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Radeon 8500 sending 1152x686 (or whatever) to my widescreen HDTV. I also have a Revo soundcard and the OEM copy of WinDVD 4 that came with it. Finally, I'm using ZP 2.9.

If I try to playback a DVD in ZP, it reports something about Macrovision (I know, I can't playback at >480p). So, I use SmartRipper to copy the DVD onto my hard-drive and remove the macrovision. But then, I can't get the resulting IFO/VOBs to playback correctly:

- opening the IFO doesn't result in any playback

- opening the VOBs plays back in full-screen (yeah!) but doesn't allow me to select the audio track, and it doesn't always default to English!

- I tried ripping the files to a \\Video_ts folder and changing the default DVD drive (in ZP) to match the hard drive; same errors

Is there a trick to this, e.g. ripping it differently so that the IFO works?

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dave, thanks for the link but I don't see how this helps me. For one, I'm not using an image. Are you saying that the problem is simply that WinDVD/ZP don't recognize the ripped files as being a "DVD" anymore?

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
I use zoomplayer 2.9 for playing DVD's all the time - feeding into my Samsung DLP at 720p. I have never received a macrovision warning. Is this a new "feature" in zoomplayer 3.0???

If I rip the DVD to a hard drive, I haven't found any easy solution to default to English for audio track, or to sequence the VOB files without creating a playlist. I'll check out the method described in this thread.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Try ripping the DVD's as ISO Read then mount the image via Daemon-Tools

·
Registered
18,924 Posts
I thought I said that?:p

At any rate, you shouldn't even have to do that, because once you rip an image, most of the DVD players let you play the image file whole- ZP, WinDVD, PowerDVD, etc.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Sorry DaveFi, sometimes I miss a post here or there.

Try DVD Decrypter and under Mode select ISO Read. This will copy the whole DVD with Macrovision and CSS removed and it will create a MDS file that you can mount to a drive.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I'm not able to get Apollo 13 DTS edition to play in my HTPC. At first it just wouldn't load then one time I got the Macrovision error and now its back to just not loading. It loads with the free WinDVD that came with my Revolution 7.1. I have a GeForce4 Ti 4200 updated with the latest drivers and TT with the 15_25 patch. I thought I wouldn't have this problem going with the GeForce4 and a transcoder.

·
Registered
300 Posts
It won't play on my PC that has a Radeon 9700 Pro either. But, it plays fine in WinDVD on both systems. Has anyone else had Macrovision errors using a trasnscoder? I thought one of the strengths of a transcoder over the ATI dongle is that you don't have to worry about Macrovision. I thought that Macrovision doesn't apply to VGA outputs.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I had the same problem with WinDVD and tried playing with PowerDVD and didn't have the problem. In PowerDVD pick open media files> load list.

Quote:
Originally posted by sdsalsero
I have a Radeon 8500 sending 1152x686 (or whatever) to my widescreen HDTV. I also have a Revo soundcard and the OEM copy of WinDVD 4 that came with it. Finally, I'm using ZP 2.9.

If I try to playback a DVD in ZP, it reports something about Macrovision (I know, I can't playback at >480p). So, I use SmartRipper to copy the DVD onto my hard-drive and remove the macrovision. But then, I can't get the resulting IFO/VOBs to playback correctly:

- opening the IFO doesn't result in any playback

- opening the VOBs plays back in full-screen (yeah!) but doesn't allow me to select the audio track, and it doesn't always default to English!

- I tried ripping the files to a \\Video_ts folder and changing the default DVD drive (in ZP) to match the hard drive; same errors

Is there a trick to this, e.g. ripping it differently so that the IFO works?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.