AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was hoping to use a Mac Mini to play back HD Mpeg-2 TS streams I pulled from my Motorola 6412 by firewire on a HD TV/monitor. I've tried VLC directly on the streams, and Mplayer and Quicktime Player on the streams after muxing with streamclip.

In all cases the output was jerky and/or lost audio sync because the Mac was not fast enough.

I'm wondering if there is some other conversion I could do to the streams that would not overload the cpu on playback and yet give me the same apparent "HD" resoultion. The Comcast streams I'm getting over firewaire are 1920x1080, and I'm feeding a Olevia/Syntax 1280x768 display, that the Mac treats as 1024x768. If nothing else it seems like I would get some advantage transcoding the streams down to match the display resolution.

The Mac has a 1.46mhz power ppc in it with 1/2 GB of ram and radeon 9200 graphics. Is that just not enough to get the job done?

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Maybe better on the MacHTPC forum, but.... I've never been able to playblack a TS on a mini that way I liked. It's software only decoding as apple never really did anything with hardware except for their own dvd player. I never had problems with sync, just some dropped frames. I stream the content of the mini to the AVldvdLinkplayer for displaying on a projector.

·
Premium Member
13,879 Posts
Yep, look in the Mac HTPC forum. THe mini is not strong enough to handle it.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I Still find it strange that it doesn't have enough "power".

The same streams on my inexpensive windows laptop with a 1.6ghz Centriino and an Intel i810 graphics chip, play fine. Is there really that much difference in a 1.46ghz PPC with a radeon 9200?

·
Premium Member
13,879 Posts
Remember that the Pentium M chips are much more powerful than their mhz rating. There is a huge difference between the two on 1080i MPEG2 streams.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.