AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apologize if this has been covered before. I searched but didn't find much.

Besides HTPCs, which device works best for playing a custom intro and 1080p trailers seamlessly? WD TV Live +? Roku XD?

Will a PS3 do this?

Looking to have a custom intro followed by a couple HD trailers to show before the main feature on Blu-ray. Seamless transition between these individual trailers is a must.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

·
Registered
742 Posts
What format are the intros and trailers in? If you are trying to go seamless, the HTPC would be the best bet. WD TV, Roku, and the PS3 would all function the same if you're trying to play your own local files. It's just a matter of how seamless you are able to switch inputs on your receiver.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Trailers will be downloaded primarily from Apple's website

I believe the format is .MOV

Switching inputs on the receiver to Blu-ray player for main feature is not a problem.

So my primary concern is the ability to create a playlist that will play these .MOV files back-to-back without any interruption.

I read an old post about how an earlier model of the WD TV would flash a format (audio format / video format) header at the start of each file, this is what I'm trying to avoid.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Check out the new apple TV. I know you can create a video playlist in iTunes very easily. I do not own a unit to check out, but I will give it a try on my iPad and let you know what I get. It should work, the only problem I see is that apple TV only puts out 720p resolution. That should be good enough for trailers and intros. Getting a on screen input selection when switching over to the blu ray is more of an issue or a tweak with your receiver. However, you could always get your movie content from iTunes as well.

·
Registered
103 Posts
So I have done some testing and here is what I have come up with. Mind you I do not have an apple tv, but I have tried it on two other apple products and think it will work. I downloaded three movie trailers from apple, and took a movie I downloaded from itunes and created a video playlist. When I first synced the playlist to my iPad the videos all transfered over, but the playlist did not. Ipads do not support video playlist. I then edited the info of the three videos in iTunes changing the media to music video. The playlist now showed up in the iPad under the iPod icon. However, it still accesses the videos from the video player so the playlist did not play out.

I then synced the playlist to my iphone. It worked perfect!! Played the three trailers and even added a second or two of black between the videos. Then played right into the movie.

The latest version of iTunes allows you to sync video playlist. I found in a online apple discussion board that a November 2010 software update now allows the new Apple TV to play out a playlist without returning to the main menu after each video.

If this is true, this is a perfect device to play out intros, and trailers. Just make sure they are apple compliant.

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
I wanted to do the exact same thing, and the product I ended up buying was the Argosy HV335T.

Each week, I download the latest 1080P trailers (usually from HDTrailers.net), store them to a trailer file on my media server (could also be stored to a USB drive or internal hard drive), and play them before the movie. Each preview in the folder plays sequentially by file name. I programmed my remote control with a macro, so that at the end of my custom intro I just have to hit a button and the input changes to the BD in my PS3 and starts playing the movie.

One thing that may be a deal breaker for you is that the word "loading" appears briefly in the upper left corner of the screen before each trailer. Since most of the movies we watch are in an aspect ratio greater than 16:9, the words usually appear in the masked-off section of the screen so they aren't visible.

The unit has had some bugs. though: Remembering it's network address, some audio quirks, and it has stumbled on a few trailers. Some of those issues could be equipment or file related, and firmware upgrades have also solved some of them.

The price was right for what I wanted it to do, though.

Scott

·
Banned
1,709 Posts
This is what i do,

I have a Movie Intro File.

All my movie intro stuff is in there...

I take a FLV file video from say you tube,

Convert that file to HD MPEG 4

then i convert it again into MKV

then i have a INtro file,

a Welcome to this theater trailer,

a Dont be a tommy texter commericial

a snickers commercial

a butter cup popcorn commercial,

a coming soon to this theater policy trailer,

3 Movie trailers,

and a now for this feature presentation policy trailer

then i put them into MKV Merge.

and its now all 1 file.

then i put it on my Media Server in a certain bluray folder

Then i use Popcorn hour media server to play the folder.

Think i will post a you tube video sometime on the above in action....

·
Registered
322 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fraisa /forum/post/0

Do It..Do it...

I wonder if my xbox will play a series of files like that if I put them in a folder on my USB. It will recognize the .mov trailer I got off iTunes, but I'd like to play more than one seemlessly.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmaschm
Do It..Do it...

I wonder if my xbox will play a series of files like that if I put them in a folder on my USB. It will recognize the .mov trailer I got off iTunes, but I'd like to play more than one seemlessly.
Is there anyway (with PS3) to do this as well?

Also, can you have the trailers and all go straight into the blu-ray and bypass the blu-ray's commercials / trailers / welcome screen and go straight to the movie?

·
Registered
322 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tildawn10 /forum/post/0

You guys mentioned downloading trailers from apples website...are you just referring to normal movie trailers on itunes or something different?

I'm downloading them off iTunes, it's free and they are 1080p. Some people have gotten them off of hd-trailers.net but I couldn't get it to work for me.

My problem now is I don't know how to get the xbox to play all three files (.MOV) is series. Or merge all three files together easily (and no, I'm not paying for quick time pro).

·
Registered
5,011 Posts
To Everyone Above,

This is a great thread. I'm running a PS3, connected to my office PC. The PS3 feeds my PJ via the HDMI switching in my AV receiver. I think I need to grab some trailers from Itunes and see what I can do..

·
Registered
322 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vcook /forum/post/19834064

I never thought to append multiple files in mkvmerge though I use that product all the time for other stuff, great suggestion!!

Alright just thought I'd give an update. So far I have managed to convert the files to avi and then append them, but xbox won't read it so I am trying to convert them back now.

·
Registered
3,468 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tildawn10 /forum/post/19832894

You guys mentioned downloading trailers from apples website...are you just referring to normal movie trailers on itunes or something different?

I use HD-Trailers.net. They have multiple sources, not just Apple hosted trailers.

It's a little tricky to download some of them, though. For some reason, Apple is protective of the content, and saving the links will sometimes just save the actual link instead of the file. There's an easy workaround for this, if you use Firefox and a user agent plugin. The details are on their website.

I love having the freedom to pick which trailers we watch before movies, instead of the ones the studios try to force down our throats on today's discs.

Scott

·
Premium Member
563 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fraisa /forum/post/0

This is what i do,

I have a Movie Intro File.

All my movie intro stuff is in there...

I take a FLV file video from say you tube,

Convert that file to HD MPEG 4

then i convert it again into MKV

then i have a INtro file,

a Welcome to this theater trailer,

a Dont be a tommy texter commericial

a snickers commercial

a butter cup popcorn commercial,

a coming soon to this theater policy trailer,

3 Movie trailers,

and a now for this feature presentation policy trailer

then i put them into MKV Merge.

and its now all 1 file.

I tried this tonight but kept getting an error stating the file formats didn't match.

I downloaded a dts and thx intro, converted them to mkv using ripbot, then tried merging and I get the error. Any ideas?

·
Registered
322 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzirkelb /forum/post/0

I tried this tonight but kept getting an error stating the file formats didn't match.

I downloaded a dts and thx intro, converted them to mkv using ripbot, then tried merging and I get the error. Any ideas?

Haven't used mkv merge or ripbot before. Looks like I'll be looking into them tonight. I'll get back if I have any success.

·
Premium Member
563 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmaschm /forum/post/19851159

Haven't used mkv merge or ripbot before. Looks like I'll be looking into them tonight. I'll get back if I have any success.

Thanks. I only used ripbot becuase that is what I use to compress my blu rays, and I know it can convert to mkv.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.