AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
dose any one know if dtv is broadcasting 2,4,5,7.etc.in hd a salesman told me they were?is this bs or true?

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
From what I understand you live in NYC and want to know if your locals a on DirecTV in HD? The answer is no :(. Although, Dish Network has WCBS in HD.

Steve

·
Registered
443 Posts
If you mean channels 2, 3, 4, 5, etc. then there is a mixed answer: I know of no low-band VHF channels (channels 2 through 6) that are allocated for DTV channels. However, there are a few DTV allocations on the high-band VHF channels (channels 7 through 13).

After the analog stations go away, you will likely see a number of stations move their DTV operations to their former analog frequencies. At this time, the propogation characteristics for channels 11, 12 and 13 are thought to be ideal for digital transmissions. On the other hand, the low-band frequencies are not looked upon favorably for DTV.

- Peter Dennant

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
stranger, by 'dtv' were you refering to DirecTV (DBS provider) or digital tv (tv format)? By the wording I assumed you ment DiecTV.

Steve

·
Registered
132 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by stranger
dose any one know if dtv is broadcasting 2,4,5,7.etc.in hd a salesman told me they were?is this bs or true?
Stanger,

To answer your question, your salesman was right until Sept., 11th. Either he's not up to date or he's giving you a line. Prior to Sept. 11th, I was receiving digital stations WCBS-DT, WNBC-DT, WNEW-DT (FOX), WABC-DT, WWOR-DT, and WPIX-DT in Huntington over the air with my rooftop antenna. Most of these stations were broadcasting some HD content. But when the WTC towers collapsed, so did most over-the-air HD in NY. I'm left with WCBS-DT and WNEW-DT & WWOR-DT barely come in because of the reduced power that they are operating on and both these stations had very little, if any HD content. These three are broadcasting from ESB. Estimates are that it will take anywhere from 6 months to 2 years to restore the digital signals and the rest of the over-the-air HD broadcast in NY. In the mean time theres also HBO-HD, SHO-HD and PPV-HD on Dishnetwork. I hope this helps you.

Best regards, Adam Okula.

Best regards, Adam Okula

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.