AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there any HD projectors for which one could buy OEM replacement bulbs for "rational" prices? Like, $100 to $160? - - Epson, Sanyo, Panasonic, Runco, LG, JVC, Viewsonic, Acer?

Jim

·
Registered
6,372 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate /forum/post/20775477

Are there any HD projectors for which one could buy OEM replacement bulbs for "rational" prices? Like, $100 to $160? - - Epson, Sanyo, Panasonic, Runco, LG, JVC, Viewsonic, Acer?

Jim

Nope, hopefully some day LED will eliminate the need for high priced High Pressure arc lamps..

When you think about it, you are paying 1 cent per hour of view time if you get 3000 hours out of a $300 lamp..

·
Registered
6,908 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by airscapes /forum/post/20775632

When you think about it, you are paying 1 cent per hour of view time if you get 3000 hours out of a $300 lamp.

Uhhhh .... that would be $0.10 per hour in the math I learned at skool.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Not true OEM in a cage, but you can find ODM bulbs with the same part number not in a cage for around $160 even for some of the higher price brands.

Even the LEDs without mounting them run retail $150 for a chipset of RGB

·
Registered
8,441 Posts

Quote:

Jim

If you don't have a specific projector/technology in mind just figure the amount you want to spend on a new projector and spend $500 less. They you will have a reserve to buy 2 lamps and you can pretend they costs $160 each.

·
Premium Member
26,438 Posts

Quote:

Jim

Has others have pointed out, you can go the route of replacing the bulb in the projector's housing yourself. I just replaced my Planar's bulb within the planar housing for $180 shipped. If I were to place the entire housing again through planar, the cost would have been $553...but it would have required me to just pull it out and pop the new one back in vs the time, risk and education of learning how to do it myself. The fact that we have terrific very helpful fellow members, who had posted pictures and instructions of the process already...meant the DIY factor was MUCH easier than going it alone.

I would never let the cost of bulb replacement discourage or sway someone from buying a projector. Going from a "TV" to a projector was the single biggest step forward in attaining the "theater experience" at home. The bulb or complete housing replacement is just the cost of entertainment.

·
Registered
8,441 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rboster /forum/post/20775919

...I would never let the cost of bulb replacement discourage or sway someone from buying a projector. Going from a "TV" to a projector was the single biggest step forward in attaining the "theater experience" at home. The bulb or complete housing replacement is just the cost of entertainment.

Analogy: If you want to own a Porsche don't expect to pay the same maintenance fee as a Ford. Lamps are part of the expense of owning a Projector.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Mark very true.

I should have grabbed a few pictures when I was getting the oil changed on my lamborghini at JIFFY LUBE this past weekend

$125, 12 quarts of Moible 1 5W-20 and I bring my own filter from Napa at $7.95

That compared to about $500 from the dealer.

Jiffy Lube was nice, loved working on it and let me be in the pit to show them where everything was

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by William
Analogy: If you want to own a Porsche don't expect to pay the same maintenance fee as a Ford. Lamps are part of the expense of owning a Projector.
Folks, thanks for the comments. Mine happens to be a Sanyo Z3000, and somehow I didn't think I was getting into the Porsche category. Great picture, but there's something strange about the general acceptance of $300 - $500 lamps IMO. - Why are they so expensive?

Jim

·
Registered
6,372 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate
Folks, thanks for the comments. Mine happens to be a Sanyo Z3000, and somehow I didn't think I was getting into the Porsche category. Great picture, but there's something strange about the general acceptance of $300 - $500 lamps IMO. - Why are they so expensive?

Jim
Google "Why are projector lamps so expensive" you will find many articles that explain the issues involved in making a high pressure arc lamp.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Most projectors get 3000 hrs on a bulb. If you take 730 days in two years and multiply that by 4 hours a day that's 2,920 hours. For a little more than 12 dollars a month over two years you will have a massive picture that will dwarf any 65 inch plasma/lcd. A 119 inch screen is basically FOUR 60 inch TVs! I don't know how you budget the rest of your expenses but most people can find an extra 12 dollars a month to cut the fat.

IMHO, projectors are one of the few technologies out there where you actually get what you pay for.

Honestly the idea of shelling out an extra 300 dollars on a machine you paid X amount of dollars is a notion that doesn't sit well with many people, that's why they don't get projectors and watch their postage stamp sized 50 inch screens, while others get to enjoy movie like experiences in the comforts of their own home.

I paid 2.5k for a BenQ projector back in 2005. It had issues but I also hosted some great Super Bowl and Oscar parties in addition to all the football and great Discovery/Animal Planet content. Priceless.

·
Premium Member
26,438 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrteacher /forum/post/20777413

Most projectors get 3000 hrs on a bulb. If you take 730 days in two years and multiply that by 4 hours a day that's 2,920 hours. For a little more than 12 dollars a month over two years you will have a massive picture that will dwarf any 65 inch plasma/lcd. A 119 inch screen is basically FOUR 60 inch TVs! I don't know how you budget the rest of your expenses but most people can find an extra 12 dollars a month to cut the fat.

IMHO, projectors are one of the few technologies out there where you actually get what you pay for.

Honestly the idea of shelling out an extra 300 dollars on a machine you paid X amount of dollars is a notion that doesn't sit well with many people, that's why they don't get projectors and watch their postage stamp sized 50 inch screens, while others get to enjoy movie like experiences in the comforts of their own home.

I paid 2.5k for a BenQ projector back in 2005. It had issues but I also hosted some great Super Bowl and Oscar parties in addition to all the football and great Discovery/Animal Planet content. Priceless.

Nicely stated. As others have said, the topics of why bulbs/lamps are expensive has already been discussed in articles available through google and existing threads on this forum (use advance search, title search only with bulbs or lamp as search word).

I did have a better appreciation for how much the lamp housing contained and therefore the value/cost of replacing it. The issue becomes can you replace the bulb inside the lamp housing yourself and save that difference? Since the housing is not the part that wears out...but the fact that most projector owners outside of this forum wouldn't or couldn't replace the bulb within the housing (as currently designed), it would be a customer service nightmare and turn off to most to expect them to. The answer becomes make it as simple as possible...just replace the entire housing.

·
Registered
23,131 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rboster /forum/post/20775919

Has others have pointed out, you can go the route of replacing the bulb in the projector's housing yourself. I just replaced my Planar's bulb within the planar housing for $180 shipped. If I were to place the entire housing again through planar, the cost would have been $553...but it would have required me to just pull it out and pop the new one back in vs the time, risk and education of learning how to do it myself.

Yup, while I actually paid a bit more than that for my Planar lamp, but that's because I overnighted it and wanted something that "just works". Replacing the lamp for me was just a matter of 3 screws and about 2 minutes. And for me, all that was worth the extra cost.

Quote:
I would never let the cost of bulb replacement discourage or sway someone from buying a projector. Going from a "TV" to a projector was the single biggest step forward in attaining the "theater experience" at home. The bulb or complete housing replacement is just the cost of entertainment.

Agree completely. A lot of other can go obsolete (or dead) and need to be replaced in the time period a lamp lasts, and cost as much or more to replace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate /forum/post/20777160

Great picture, but there's something strange about the general acceptance of $300 - $500 lamps IMO.

It's like high gas prices, you think I like paying upwards of $100 to fill up my truck? No, but that's what gas costs and if I want the ability to haul a load of rock, lumber, furnature, whatever for a project, that's what it costs and there's nothing I can do about it.

Same with home theater, if you want a big, beautiful, cinema-like picture that envelops you, you're gona have to pay for lamps (or for an LED projector). Otherwise you can watch your "postage stamp" like most people

·
RETIRED theater builder
36,563 Posts
You wanna talk about Bulb life and cost? The two happiest days of my life were when my Optoma H79 (AKA the incinerator) arrived from AVS and the day I replaced it with a Planar 8150. I never got over 600 hours per bulb.

The only bright side was there was a class action lawsuit and Optoma ended up reimbursing me for one of the 6 bulbs I bought.

Is there a market for a used 720p unit complete with 5 bulb housings and two loose bulbs? It was only toward the end that I wised up and only replaced the bulb.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
BigM,

That does suck. So far I have not had any horror stories in HT. Hopefully it stays that way too.

·
Registered
23,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC
You wanna talk about Bulb life and cost? The two happiest days of my life were when my Optoma H79 (AKA the incinerator) arrived from AVS and the day I replaced it with a Planar 8150. I never got over 600 hours per bulb.
My Toshiba MT700 used to eat lamps within 100 hours. Up side of that was every one of them failed within the 90 lamp warranty so I never actually had to buy a lamp. Eventually got a refund for the whole projector.

·
Banned
6,051 Posts
Quote:
Are there any HD projectors for which one could buy OEM replacement bulbs for "rational" prices
Thats the problem with bulbs, they are totally irrational

Although the bulbs today cost 350-400, its still great compared to the Xenon bulbs i had to buy for my JVC G11. Those ran MSRP around $950 if I remember correctly. The worse part was they were only good for 1000 hours. Eventually there was a guy (there is always a guy) who would sell you the bulb without the housing for $500 (i am guessing) and you would use the housing form the old bulb. Seemed to work fine

The other alternative was to buy the higher watt bulb from the same manufacturer which was also considerably alot less than the OEM bulb

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.