AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hung a dipole antenna outside from my eves, to pick up some of the San Diego FM stations. They are all 60+ miles away.

I get 3 bars on several of them with my Sony & the analog comes in real clear, but the HD won't lock. The "HD" just flashes. On KPBS, I only get 2 bars yet the HD locks in & stays locked, even though it is 82 miles away. This is the first station I've noticed that HD locks with only 2 bars.

Not sure why the HD signal would lock in with two bars & not lock in for other stations with 3 bars. Any ideas?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Perhaps the stations with 3 bars has stations on the first adjacent channels which would cover up the digital sidebands, whereas the station with two bars has at least one adjacent channel open allowing the digital signal to be decoded. Try tuning to the first adjacent channels of the station you are attempting to hear in HD. If both adjacent channels are occupied, that would be the reason.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, You're probably right. Most of the SD stations have LA stations adjacent above & below. KPBS has a strong station below it on 89.3, but a weak station above on 89.7.

Perhaps an FM antenna that is more directional than the dipole? The adjacent LA stations are in the opposite direction.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts