AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Kinda embarassed asking this question but I'm in the process of buying an HDTV and my knowledge is limited when it comes to them. Can someone please explain to me the difference between a HDTV that is HD-Ready and one has a HDTV tuner. Is there a difference, same thing or just a marketing ploy for us lost customers? The saleperson at my local Bestbuy didn't know the difference and was cluesless as I was. I'm thinking about either purchasing the Samsung TXR3079WH or the Sony KV30HS420 . One is HD-Ready while the other has a built in HDTV tuner. Samsung is $100.00 more than the Sony brand but I read there is geometry issues with the Samsung model and I wasn't able to find any good posts here about the Sony model. Which is the overall better television? I'm looking within a $1000.00 price range for my 1st HDTV purchase.

EDIT:Sorry for the double post mods. I was instructed to post here. Please delete the other thread that was moved here.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
HD ready.....no HD tuner. It does have an NTSC tuner.

HDTV....has an HDTV tuner. It will accept and tune HDTV from an OTA.

With an HD ready TV you will need an external HD tuner. It will display HDTV.

I was going to say the difference was about 500 bucks.

Walt

·
Premium Member
16,955 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,955 Posts

·
Registered
9,398 Posts
If you have digital cable, you won't need an HDTV tuner unless for some reason you want to watch your local stations OTA.

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by techman707
If you have digital cable, you won't need an HDTV tuner unless for some reason you want to watch your local stations OTA.
And you won't need it if you want a DVR.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.