AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, M&K S-125, S-80, MX-90, Windows Media Center 4K HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At the least, Zenith has talked about this, but no solid dates or details have been made public yet.

I kind of assume (!?!) we'll see one or two versions for the upcoming holiday shopping season. Maybe.

------------------

"Better living thru modern, expensive electronics devices"

tm

·
Registered
51 Posts
Tivo has said no HDTV Tivo this year and Replay has had no comment that I know about so let's hope Zenith produces something this year.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Dish CEO Charlie Ergen mentioned (on a recent Charlie Chat) that Dish is working on an HD capable PVR. He suggested watching upcoming technical forums for information.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Instead of a DISH HD PVR, I am looking for a HD/Digital Audio TIVO or REPLAYTV in the future. Such a digital recorder should also handle multiple video input: OTA and Satellite.

What do you think?

·
Registered
800 Posts
 RKR Video sells HTPCs equipped with the AccessDTV card plus program guide and timeshifting software. The description on their Web site makes the boxes sound like a turnkey solution to the problem of HD recording.

The boxes are well equipped PCs and not cheap. But they provide other services in addition to HD reception and recording, including scalable progressive-scan DVD playback. I own a non-HD Cassini which I use primarily for DVD playback, and it does that job impressively.

It is a PC with all the annoyance that entails, but you can partially mitigate that by programming a few relevant commands into a programmable remote so that you don't have to be waving around that damned wireless keyboard all the time.

I've seen almost no mention of these boxes, neither here nor on the HDTV Recorders Forum. A quick search on the Home Theater Computers Forum didn't uncover anything either. I don't know anyone who owns one.

------------------

Ron Gomes

·
Registered
112 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by EugeneZ:
Instead of a DISH HD PVR, I am looking for a HD/Digital Audio TIVO or REPLAYTV in the future. Such a digital recorder should also handle multiple video input: OTA and Satellite.

What do you think?
It's a complex issue that will, I'm afraid, take a year or two to sort out. First things first. You can buy PC-based cards (Hi-Pix, Hauppauge, etc) that provide recording of OTA ATSC signals.

Second, hard disk capacities are just now approaching those required to provide enough storage capacity to make HD PVR a viable technology.

Lastly, we have the content providers and the "premium" content carriers (i.e. DirecTV, Dish, AT&T, etc) . The content providers are very nervous about copyright issues and are pressing the carriers very hard to keep very tight control over the digital data stream. This has resulted in carriers being very conservative in this area.

------------------

PC Boards Repaired Here!

-- (Ignore the Name) --

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.