AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if future HD receivers will allow reception of cable from companies like Comcast without having to rent cable box.I realize this would be for non-premium channels only.I just want to get HD for regular network cable without having to deal with antennas or monthly cable box rental.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,618 Posts
Only specific current model Mitsubishi & Hitachi HDTV's are capable of receiving QAM cable HDTV at this time.

·
Registered
5,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Ken.I would hope this kind of technology is on the front burner for future release soon.

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
The soon-to-be released Zenith boxes should be able to do both OTA and non-encrypted QAM. Look for the HDV430, or the SAT530.

·
Registered
5,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds like the answer Ive been looking for.Thank Jack

·
Banned
3,539 Posts
The new Zenith boxes will work with unencrypted QAM, unfortunately many cable systems encrypt everything on digital cable (including the local HD channels) to force you to pay for their digital cable service using their box - so in reality buying your own QAM-capable box may be useless. If you buy one, make sure its from a store with 30day no-questions-asked return policy.

·
Registered
5,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you can receive cable channels without a box does this mean no encryption is going on.Does anyone know if cable company has 2 separate channels for a station in HD with one being sd and other HD feed?If thats the case would the HD channel be encrypted while sd was not?

·
AVS Forum Special Member
11,139 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mattg3

If you can receive cable channels without a box does this mean no encryption is going on.Does anyone know if cable company has 2 separate channels for a station in HD with one being sd and other HD feed?If thats the case would the HD channel be encrypted while sd was not?
Probably means someone's getting the cable channels in an analog format. On most cable systems many channels are carried in the legacy analog format (for older converters and no-converter setups), then duplicated in the digital format. Time Warner here in NYC, for example, has about 30 of its ~100 analog channels delivered in unscrambled form. A standard converter is needed to unscramble most of the analog channels and a paid subscription to view HBO, etc.

With my 'everything' digital-cable subscription, via my HD SA3100HD cable converter, HBO/Cinemax/Showtime appear in HD on a HD-channel segment (701-714), and in digitally delivered form on lower (normally analog) channels (

·
Registered
5,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
With comcast I have about 75 channels that I receive without a box.I just wonder how long thars going to last?Yes they are analog but look fine on my plasma.Thanks John

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.