AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well i went out and bought a Toshiba DST-3000 today at lunch for $449. But now that i'm at work it's occured to me that it's probably a waste. I already own a Sony UltimateTV receiver which has some nice features like dual receivers built in and recording ability, so to switch it with that would mean i'd be losing quite a bit of functionality i've grown used to. I'd be back to a single receiver with no recording ability.

So what have i really gained buying it? Well two HD channels on DTV i'm sure you'll all say. HDNET and HBO-HD. Big whoop.. i doubt i'll watch a lot of either other then to show off the set. Unless they start showing the cool stuff in HD like Sopranos, Six Feet Under, Band of Brothers, and so forth. I already get a lot of HBO channels so how exciting will 1 more channel be? And ok i can hook up OTA and get some occasional HD broadcasts there (leno which i dont watch, CSI, what else?). Not much considering the cost and effort putting up an antenna and all. On the plus side i'll be able to get UPN and WB which i haven't in the past. That'll be nice for Star Trek which i *do* miss.

Bottom line is what to do though? Keep both receivers and just write off the Toshiba as a loss? I'm sure in a couple years it'll be a paper weight. How do I hook it up? I already have an oval dish on the roof with two lines running to my Ultimate TV receiver. Unplug them and plug them into the HD receiver when i want to use that one? Buy more equipment to switch between them? Split one line so i can hook it to each receiver? Not really sure what the best method would be here. One plus if i keep the HD and UTV receiver (both) is i can now record 2 channels and watch a 3rd channel potentially at the same time. Not a huge deal the 1 to 2 receivers was a big deal though (my Utv receiver over the older Sony B55 i had).

Course the one thing that bothers me about satellite is the picture just isn't that great on my Sony 57HW40. Or i'm sitting too close to the screen. DVD's are nice but i find satelite to be annoyingly blurry. I noticed in the store the smaller HDTV sets seem to have better pictures on satellite because you don't see the discrepencies as well.

So what do most of you experienced big screen HDTV'ers do about some of the issues/problems i'm rambling about above? I'd love to hear some comments. General discussion sort of thing regarding HDTV hardware

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
gwichman,

You live in the San Francisco DMA. Keep the receiver. Band of Brothers and Sopranos are in HDTV and they look fantastic. HDNet is the next best thing to being in the stadium live. You didn't like the picture quality of non-HDTV satellite channels? You're set, use the over air DTV feed instead. HDTV network programming can look really good (better than anything you'll get with your UltimateTV receiver). Even the upconverted local analog material will look better as SDTV. Why you ask? You get a ghost free signal that has considerably more bandwidth than the same local into local station on DirecTV.

Yes, you are going to lose the ability to record on the UltimateTV reciever. At least, you won't be able to record HDTV content. You could keep the UltimateTV receiver hooked up and record standard def content to your heart's content. Nothing lost there, right? I don't know a ton about the UltimateTV receiver, but you could try pulling one of the cable feeds while waiting to buy a switch. I've got a dish 6000 myself, so my install was more a matter of hooking two dishes to one reciever, not one dish to two receivers (and three tuners!).

Installing an antenna doesn't have to be some huge, complicated mess. Try www.antennaweb.org and www.titantv.com to find out where Mt. Sutro is from your house. Go to Radioshack and buy the $17 double bowtie indoor antenna. If that doesn't work, do a search on this forum for more antenna advice. You already have the receiver; you might as well play around with it and see if you like how OTA HDTV looks. Best of luck!

Jim

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
HDTV is amazing.

hmm not only do I think you will think it is worth it. I think it my change the way you watch tv.

If aviblible in your area you my be able to get CBS and ABC OTA, both of which show most of thier primetime shows in hdtv.

I bet you may find yourself watching more hdtv then you think and less of the sd shows you are now. You may even end up watching some of those shows you say you dont watch now or atleast may do so once in a while.

hdtv got me to watch shows I may not have watched in the past, and then I got interested in those shows and I am a regular viewer now.

Also I dont watch some shows I use to becuase they are not in hdtv. It really is hard to go back! I dont watch NBC or Fox at all anymore. To much other stuff to watch in hd.

give the radio shack double bowtie a try as was recomended it is surPrising good.

Dont bother with other indoor anntenas I tired three others, and hardly got a signal, and the much cheaper RS DB got me good recepetion on all the stations in my area.

enjoy,

tony

·
Registered
200 Posts
Keep the Ultimate setup. Keep the DST-3000. You got a good price on it! Add an another dish for the DST-3000. Hook up the DST-3000 to your second component input on your monitor. Program your remote to "macro" between the two sources.

I have a similar setup. I own the RCA Ultimate TV Direct TV combo receiver. I have the DST-3000. I have two dishes. I do watch HDTV broadcasts--HBO and HDNet. I use the DST-3000 to watch OTA broadcasts with an antenna. The best part about having THREE receivers is that now I can record two programs on the Ultimate TV receiver while watching a third on the DST-3000!

dL

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the replies. Some excellent points in there. I went ahead and picked up the double bowtie antenna everyone mentioned on my way home last night and hooked it all up. I unplugged the 119 sat feed from my ultimate tv receiver and plugged it into the HD receiver and called DTV to activate the receiver. Once up and running, i checked out channels 199 (HDNET) and 509 (HBO-HD). Is there an HD demo channel or any others i'm not aware of?

I also hooked up the bowtie. I'm in a 2 story townhouse and my t.v. is not near a window.. it's more in the center of the building. I just put the bowtie on top of the receiver and told the receiver to scan for channels. Initially this was confusing because it picks up lots of what appears to be regular non-digital analog channels as well as DT channels (digital television?) and SD channels (standard definition?). Most of the channels are snowy to some extent or i get broken digital pictures or worse, black altogether (no signal). Some channels i dont think it even picked up when comparing my list of channels to what titantv shows. However I was able to get the CBS DT channel and knew Leno would be in HD so waited for that to come on. It only lost signal periodically. For the most part i watched the whole show in HD. Very impressive. Ditto the two DTV channels I looked at. They were showing gladiator which looked great on HBO. I was tempted to grab my gladiator dvd and toss it in the dvd player to compare the pictures but didn't.

All in all I agree HD looks terrific. I may just keep both receivers and bite the bullet so to speak, but if i do so I obviously need to do something about the antenna situation. One option i suppose is to put the bowtie higher up and perhaps even outside (on my balcony?) and run a long coaxial from it to the receiver. Another is to just buy a better antenna and mount it on the roof. Any suggestions where to go from here?

My dish is a Sony oval with two dual LNB's. So it looks like if i want to keep both receivers my best bet is to buy another long cable and hook it up to the second connection on the LNB pointing to the 119 satellite to feed the HD receiver so i don't have to move the cable back and forth :). So i'm going to be going up on the roof anyways to do that. I'd rather not spend money if i dont have to so I guess putting hte bowtie higher up and perhaps outside might be worth a shot first before buying another antenna.

As for programming, the first night i did gawk at the HD content and it's definetly beautiful. Switching back to normal t.v. is a dissappointment but still theres many shows i'm just going to watch regardless. Keeping both receivers seems my only real option. I hate losing my PVR as i really never watch anything hwen it's actually on anymore. What a crappy dilema eh? Particularly when we all know the technoloy is there to create that ideal STB we all want. Frustrating..

I have like 10 remotes in my room now. I'm going to have to buy a better universal that can do macros. Probably that Sony 2100 which seems to be the best cheapie remote that'll get the job done. I also need to buy another optical cable. The Toshiba DST-3000 doesn't come with one.

so more stuff to buy :(

Sony 2100 - $90

Optical Cable - $10?

Another 50' cable for the dish - $25-30

Another 50' cable for the antenna - $25-30

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
HI, Gwichman

sorry the double bowtie didnt work too well for you.

things to try, move it to different localtions in the room or higher. Or crazly try lower, tho Iam sure this wont help most people - I set mine on the floor to get all the channels.

Also if you are going to get an extention cable for it, you may want to get an inline amp to make sure a strong signal gets to the stb. Or even if you dont get an extention you my try the amp. Hopefully someone can recommend one, maybe radioshack has one, that way if it didnt help you could return it.

good luck

tony

·
Registered
218 Posts
Gwichman,

Try moving the antenna around. I hooked up a 25 ft. coax cable to it and just brought it around the apartment. Surprisingly, my strongest signal was when I put the bowtie in my clothes closet. In my apartment, higher up helped and moving it towards the window actually lost the signal. Once I determined where the antenna would reside, I ended up drilling a hole through the wall from the closet to where the STB is.

There are no other HDTV channels on DirecTV other than 199 and 509. 199 is really the demo channel for now since there isn't enough content to fill 24 hours a day.

The Miss Hawaiian Tropic contest is on HDNet today but unfortunately I have to go out for dinner ! :(

Michael

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i'll try moving it around some more but i'm skeptical i'm going to get the reception i want. If i move to the next step and buy an antenna, i am guessing i probably dont need a directional one fortunetly. How are those disc-shaped ones? I saw one at radio shack. Perhaps putting that on my roof will be a worthwhile weekend chore if this bowtie doesn't work out.

Does radioshack sell anything else that is recommendable?

·
Registered
212 Posts
Are you aware of the Silver Sensor antenna? Might just work better for you. I keep mine inside. I tried it outside and on the roof but didn't see any particular improvement

If you are a sports fan, in addition to the ever popular Miss Hawaiian Tropic Contest being rerun on HDNet (199) at 6:30 tonight, there is a live Hockey game on at 7:30. L.A. Kings vs. the Calgary Flames. Hockey is a great forum for HD.

P.S.

It's definately worth the hassle. If you decide it isn't, and choose to go back to radio, I'll be happy to stop by and pick up all this troublesome equipment. :D

·
Registered
56 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by gwichman

My dish is a Sony oval with two dual LNB's. So it looks like if i want to keep both receivers my best bet is to buy another long cable and hook it up to the second connection on the LNB pointing to the 119 satellite to feed the HD receiver so i don't have to move the cable back and forth
I thought the oval dish came standard with an 8900 4x4 switch? The two outputs from each LNB should be connected to the four inputs of a switch on the back of the dish, and the cables to your receiver would be connected to two of the four switch outputs. If you have that, all you need is a third cable run from one of the two unused outputs on the switch to your new receiver.

- Fred

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Fred - Thats true it does have the switch but the wiring amounts to the same thing IMO. I still have to climb up on the roof and run another cable from the dish to the receiver in the house which is the main part of the work.

kusamba - Silver Sensor? No whats that like? I definetly need something better for OTA.

What about something like the TV Antenna Model VU-110 XR from radio shack?

that one would probably handle anything i'm guessing. SF is probably 35-40 miles from where i live. I'm leaning towards just putting something on the roof this weekend since i have to run a 3rd line to the dish anyways.

Incidently I did happen to turn on HDNET last night and watched the Kings/Calgary game. I was shocked to see my team (kings.. i'm from southern california originally) in full HD. Wow that was sure nice. How often are Kings games on HDNET? Was I just lucky to have caught that? I usually watch them via hte DTV NHL package.

I notice the more i watch HD content, the more annoyed i am at normal signals - even DVD's don't compare. You definetly don't know what you're missing until you start to see it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.