AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a Toshiba CW34X92 and use the RCA DTC-100. Good combo and no problems. I am buying a second CW34X92 for another room and wondered if I should just get another DTC-100 or gamble on a Sony HD-100 or Hughes. I am having both sets ISF calibrated on July 6 by Ken Whitcomb from Indy. I live in Fort Wayne, IN. The variable mode on the Sony sounds neat but with all the problems, well.... Thanks for any input.

Jim

·
Super Moderator
21,528 Posts
I think you should try the Sony- in spite all of the complaints, it does represent a significant step up over the RCA in several areas: Component outs, Variable out,Front panel display, seamless switching between cable and DSS....buy it from Crutchfield or somewhere that will let you send it back if you dont like it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Textf>

I am also considering the Sony but also the Toshiba DST-3000 and the Mistubishi SR-HD400.

Can anybody offer any help with these models or have experience to see what the best model is??

My TV is a Toshiba TW56X81

Thanks for the feedback

Gonzalo

------------------

Good Luck

Gonzalo

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Gonzalo,

What HD ready TV do you own? Some sets have advantages that can only be used by certain TV's. Most manufacturers put some feature on their STB that is designed to be used with, or works better with their TV's.

------------------

Dave B.

ODAT

·
Registered
734 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Gonzalo:
Textf>

I am also considering the Sony but also the Toshiba DST-3000 and the Mistubishi SR-HD400.

Can anybody offer any help with these models or have experience to see what the best model is??

My TV is a Toshiba TW56X81
The Toshiba and Mitsubishi are both identical to the Hughes E86, as they are all made by Hughes. I have the HD400, but do not yet have it hooked up to my HDTV or an HD OTA antenna, which will happen in a couple of weeks. I am using it as a regular DirecTV receiver and can view the HD demo loop as well as the HBO HD channel on my regular TV in the meantime.

It has a lot of nice features, although the UI display doesn't look as nice as my Sony SAT-A4 receiver or my Sony SAT-T60 DirecTiVo receiver.

Widescreen Review just did a review of both the Mits and Toshiba STBs. I didn't read the Toshiba review, but they gave the HD400 a very favorable review. The manuals for the E86, the DST-3000 and the HD400 are available in PDF at www.directv.com .

------------------

Tom

[This message has been edited by TomF (edited 06-11-2001).]

·
Registered
7 Posts
Showcase Electronics in Scottsdale AZ is running a special where you buy the sony sathd100 and oval dish for $999 and you get the sony Ultimate TV SAT W60 for free. $450 value.

for anyone in Phoenix area. it's actually with the Mitsu or Panasonic HDTV directv boxes too.

Rick.

------------------

Compression, such a dirty word.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.