AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am leaning towards a Sony KDF55WF655 with HD tuner. My question is this: With my theatre set-up, the only cable running to my current TV is video from my receiver. Will the HD channels from my cable provider be detected or does the coax need to be directly connected to the TV? Sorry if this is in the wrong place but I also put it in the RPTV forum b/c of the Sony reference. A little bit more about my current setup. Coax--> STB (non HD or digital yet)--->TIVO via RCA---->DVD Recorder and Receiver via RCA----->video to TV. All audio to speakers. Will I benefit from the HD tuner with this set-up?

· Registered
520 Posts
If you receive television from a cable provider you will need their HD STB to receive HD channels....if I understand your setup and question. Your TV's tuner would only get OTA HD signals.

Mort

· Registered
392 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by dougpt10
Coax--> STB (non HD or digital yet)--->TIVO via RCA---->DVD Recorder and Receiver via RCA----->video to TV. All audio to speakers. Will I benefit from the HD tuner with this set-up?
No You won't. The Built in tuners are only good if you want to connect a roof type anntena and pull signals out of the air. If you have cable that supports HD then go this route but you NEED there box to do the decoding. The TV HD Tuner is worthless in this case. I found the OTA to be a pain in the arse with drop outs and so forth anyways. Some people have good luck, I didn't like it.

Depending on what kind of cable box your getting I would set it up like this.

Coax in to HD Cable box, Digital Audio out to Reciever (for surround), Component Video to TV or Reciever if it does video then to TV.

Then, the cable box should have RCA outs as well, run these to the Tivo DVD player and to your RCA inputs on the Reciever or on the TV.

You will not be able to run HD through the Tivo. I hope this makes sense. :confused:

· Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Mike, it does make sense. No reason the video needs to run through the receiver and the video will go directly to the TV from the STB for HD then also to the Tivo via RCA. I would need to switch inputs on the TV if I wanted to watch HD vs record on Tivo though? correct?

· Registered
392 Posts
Yeah you will need to switch to a different (the DVI or Component) connection for HD viewing and them to the RCA/Svideo (Use Svideo) input to view Tivo.

I ran this exact setup for awhile with 1 added step. I split the cable before it went into the STB and ran the extra coax directly to the TV. This way when Tivo is recording I could still watch basic cable and change the channel.

What your going to find annoying is if you have Tivo recording alot of things you won't be able to watch Live TV which includes HD TV without cancelling what Tivo is recording so you can change the channel.

My Solution to this was to get a second SD cable box (4-5 bucks more a month and after all this money, Big Deal!)

So since your not runnning video through an A/V reciever what you would do is....

Take Coax 1 after the spliter and run it to the HD Cable Box, Component/DVI out to the TV on input 1. Done.

Take Coax 2 and run it to the SD Box, then out via S Video/RCA to the Tivo, then through your DVD recorder and then to the TV on input 2.

This way you can watch whatever you want on the HD box at any time with out affecting Tivo! Tivo has its own Cable box to record and change channels whenever it wants and you never run into a conflict and can always watch Live HD TV if you wish.

This also fixes another issue, the HD Comcast Boxes do not have a serial connection so I had to use IR immiters which SUCKED. The SD boxes DO have a serial connection which ensured It didn't pick the wrong channels and they also changed faster if you were surfing the TV through the Tivo.

Just make sure that you tape over the IR sensors on the front of the SD box so when you change the channel on the HD box it doesnt change the SD box as well. Comcast has them on the same frequency.

Have fun. :)

Next you'll be asking about Universal Remotes so you don't have to keep track of what the hell is on what.

Its nice to press HDTV or Tivo and have everything turn on and switch to the right inputs. It makes it very easy for non-HT people in the house. :cool:

· Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mike, thanks. I have a similar setup now only my 2nd coax split is running into a VCR so the kids can watch tapes and also watch live TV if Tivo is recording. I can still run this set-up in addition to the extra digital box from cablevision. This doesn't happen too often though. I did have everything macroed into my older Sony touchscreen but that doesn't have any preset Tivo controls so we are making do until it is all together then I will be looking for another universal remote. The audio from the DVD recorder obviously goes to the receiver via optical. I have been currently using the IR blasters and besides the delay in channel changing they have been reliable. I sure would love to get rid of them though with the serial cable. Thanks again. Doug

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.