Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by michaelrosato:

While this is not a future proof nor permanent system it won't break the bank and lets you enjoy what is available now which is worth the price of admission especially if you get in through the back door like I'm suggesting.

Let the digital problem sort itself out over the next 6 to 12 months.

That's good advice for those of us in the know. Unfortunately, if you walk into any store right now, they will gladly sell you a HD100, DTC100, Mits diamond etc without mentioning that this equipment will be completely obsolete within a year or two. If it's dubious that those of us who were early adopters could instanciate a class action aginst the manufacturers, I think this is less than certain for someone buying HD equipment now. Stores are selling equipment that has been categorically stated by equpment manufactuirers in recent press releases to not be compatible with HD broadcasts in the near future.

------------------

"You can't argue with a confident man"

- Napoleon Wilson, Assault on Precinct 13

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Actually, RKR's products are HTPCs, and unless they've come up with some sort of deal with D* or E*, HTPC HD cards cannot as yet record HBO-HD, although you can do it with the obselete Dish 5000, 8VSB modulator, and a compatible TWC feed. TWC, however, is looking to get 8VSB modulation of HBO-HD and other HD channels off of its system ASAP, both for copy protection reasons as well as bandwidth (QAM modulation requires less bandwidth than 8VSB).

------------------
ABC = Another Boring Channel. Watch CBS on Monday Nights!

·
Registered
114 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, HD recording is possible now with products available from www.rkrvideo.com.

On another note, I can't understand why some posts are chiding those who made substantial investments to upgrade there systems to HDTV being upset over the new standards. One of the selling points of these purchases was to AVOID obsolescence not just in the near future but for the life of the purchased RPTV or projector. It was not wrong for them to think this purchase was good for 10 to 15 years. For the most part, they waited until the HDTV standards were finalized and some programming was available before making a purchase. They have a right to be upset over any proposition that could make their purchase a poor one.

Also some posters don't understand that the new standards do not just effect the STB's. The outrage would not be as bad if all we were talking about was upgrading the tuner. The new standards make every monitor/projector without a digital input (all of them?) incapable of showing copyright encrypted programming (soon to be all of it?). No, there will not be an interface that turns encrypted digital signals into unencrypted high res analog ones. That would defeat the whole point of encrypting it to begin with!! Of course there will be an interface that turns the encrypted digital signal into a low res analog one but who wants that?

No the sky is not falling, but this is bad enough.

No, I can't recommend anyone buy a new HDTV/projector right now when possibly within 6 months to 1 year manufacturers will be including the appropriate inputs to handle digital signals.

Suggestion for enjoying life now:

buy a used high res projector on e-bay for 1-2k

buy a widescreen on e-bay for 2-3 hundred

buy a doubler for your DVD's like DVDO 4-6 hundred

buy an HD tuner for OTA and sat HD feeds for 4-9 hundred

(DirectTV or Dish, you make the call!!)

Sit back, enjoy life, remember we could be dead tomorrow!

While this is not a future proof nor permanent system it won't break the bank and lets you enjoy what is available now which is worth the price of admission especially if you get in through the back door like I'm suggesting.

Let the digital problem sort itself out over the next 6 to 12 months.

Just my cents which turned into 10.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.