AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

My trusty old 5080 has served me well for years, and this forum has always helped on those rare occasions when there was a problem, but if possible I'd now like to upgrade to something that can record in high def, without a monthly fee. Is that possible? I've heard the cable channels are encrypted and thus not possible. If it is possible, please let me know what to buy. From browsing this forum, it seems the only hope is a Tivo with a Cablecard, is that right?

Thanks,
b

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
You can get a Tivo w/Lifetime, or you can get a HDHomeRun Prime and use it with your computer. If you dont need encrypted cable channels, the ChannelMaster DVR+ is a nice little mid range DVR.
Other alternatives which might be better for young millenials would be a Tablo DVR.....
Let us know what you decide upon.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. I don't want to use a computer so it seems a Tivo is my only option for encrypted channels. I see used Tivos with lifetime subscription for as little as $200 on eBay, is there a particular model that is preferable? The Channel Master seems pricey for just OTA, also looked at the Magnavox MDR557H/F7, which apparently also just works for OTA.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts