AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been getting extremely interested in the MyHD card and Hipix recently with all the discussions. I'm confused about how it would work with my setup.

Quite a few have my basic layout: LT150, Powerstrip, Geforce2 card. Resolution set to 1078x576

If the MyHD, or Hipix card is used to display the picture instead of the Geforce, is it installed as a 2nd video card? I looked at the connection diagrams and understand how they are connected, but I'm not sure how it is utilized. Will I have to set up Powerstrip to get the timing correct for my custom resolution?

If someone could explain i would greatly appreciate it.

·
Registered
453 Posts
You have both your Geforce and the MyHD cards present. The VGA output from your Geforce goes into the MyHD, and the output from the MyHD goes to your projector. The MyHD will display whatever your Geforce is showing when you have your desktop up, and will switch to HDTV resolution when you select full screen display. At least that's the way my AccessDTV card works; I think the MyHD works in a similar fashion.

Al

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, I understand that, but, when it switches over to the HD card, what will the resolution be? Am I able to customize the output resolution of the HD card to match my projector and current layout? (1028x576)

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
ADTV will switch to the rez chosen for full screen; I would assume that the MyHD card will do the same. I don't know if MyHD has a smaller screen overlay.

·
Registered
453 Posts
According to DC's site, the available DTV resolutions you can choose for full screen are:

720x480p

1024x768p

1280x720p

1440x1080i

1920x1080i

Al

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I guess I'm getting lost in this whole thing.

I thought HD was in 16:9 format? If this is true then why are the resolutions in 4:3?

Say I chose the 1024x768 even though my screen is 1024x576. It would overlap the edges, right? and since I use Powerstrip to configure my Geforce2, as soon as I switch over to the HD video card, the screen would be offset since the frontdoor, backdoor settings have changed.

I'm looking to get HD reception, but I'm wondering if it would be best to just have an external tuner and input to the computer via DScaler or something to display correctly on my screen.

Thanks for helping me to try and understand

·
Registered
453 Posts
The HD overlay will ignore what your desktop settings are, and use the one specified for full screen. If you specified 1024x768 for full screen and the material being shown was 16:9 aspect ratio, then a 1024x576 picture will be displayed. If it works like the AccessDTV card, it will do this by blacking out the top and bottom portions so that the picture is centered vertically. If your projector was set up to be center-aligned, this will require no more work. If your projector was edge-aligned, it will need to have the picture shifted vertically. This is all assuming that it displays HD in the center of the screen, of course. For example, I have a G1000 displaying 1365x1024 and I have it centered vertically on my 16:9 screen. I chose 1440x1080 for fullscreen and when it displays a 16:9 picture, it fills my screen perfectly. I could choose a 1365x768 desktop to match the screen for non-HD display, but right now I use 1365x1024 and have spillover on the top and bottom because I'm playing around with an ISCO2 lens and zooming around. I hope this clarifies things.

Al

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
I think what you are missing is resolution and aspect ratio are separate.

The resolutions 1280x720p & 1920x1080i are HDTV spec, 720x480p is DTV spec. I think 1024x768p and 1440x1080i are included for 4:3 projectors?

Now, aspect ratios depend upon the height and width of the pic. You are correct in saying 1024x768 is 4:3 - for square pixels.

So, I think the LT150 is a 4:3 projector? To display 16:9, you have 2 options. You can set it up to display 16:9 in a window of the proj panel or you can strech the 16:9 to full panel and use a panamorph or ISCO lens to squeeze (or streach) it to 16:9.

Hope this helps also.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.