AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine has a HD(ready)-RPTV and is wondering if he can use a HTPC on his TV and what can it be used for? Radeon 8500?

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
Hi SuperMegaDope:

___For the best display, the 8500 is busted. The 7500 down to the lowest priced Radeon “LE†is fine with the appropriate driver and overlay adjustment.

___As far as the HTPC to a HD RPTV, if it can use a 5 BNC component connection, you simply need to run a Custom T&R capable of synching with the display and connect up the 5 BNC to it. For a strictly Component HD RPTV, you will need a RGB to Component Converter. The Key Digital or Audio Authority would be good bets. You will still need to output a synchable custom T&R from the Radeon of choice to the converter for this to work. Once you do, a DVD overlay looks fantastic.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.

___ [email protected]

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
Hi SuperMegaDope:

___That question is even easier for the average end user because the Hi-Def cards have component output capability directly.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

___ [email protected]

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks a ton xcel,

Ive built many PC's before so I'm ok with that end of it, just never one that will double as a HTPC. My HT is not HD(as you can see in my sig below) so this is all very new to me.

Could you give names of any Hi-Def cards and i'll search for threads that will tell me about them and what I will need to set it up to receive HD and send it to his TV.

thanks again,

SMD

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
Hi SuperMegaDope:

___Sure. You can look up the HiPix DTV100 (search for HiPix), AccessDTV, and the latest being discussed in a ferocious manner as evidence by the amount of views is the MyHD-MDP100 thread on the front page of the forum as I type. (search for MyHD) if you need to see even more threads in regards to it.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

___ [email protected]

·
Premium Member
7,399 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mistagreg
Hi xcel,

___For the best display, the 8500 is busted.

What do you mean that it is busted?

-Greg
The gamma curve is broken. The easy way to explain it is to imagine 20 boxes, ranging from 5% black to 100% black. You should be able to see the differences in each box.

A broken gamma curve will result in several boxes being the exact same shade when they should be different. This is happening in the tail end of the gamma curve, causing all dark gray colors to be displayed as black. Bye bye detail in shadow scenes.

This would not be much of a problem if you only watched cartoons, but I wouldn't recommend trying to get through Dark City with a Radeon 8500.

Mike

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.