AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this has probably been beat to death already, but as I don't spend to much time in this forum, I need to ask. I keep hearing about a provider merger and was wondering, who's expensive equipment is expected to become bulk for the local land fill. I have recently upgraded to a High scan rate NEC projector and am drooling at the thought of what HDTV will look like in my HT. I already own enough outdated equipment and would not like to add to the pile. My current thought is to replace my line doubler with the best video scaler I can afford, continue to purchase DVD's and say the heck with HDTV for now, but now am faced with having to replace my std def sat reciever which is acting up. That's the deal and I'm looking for suggestions. Thanks,

Chip S.

·
Registered
924 Posts
With the amount of money you are investing in your equipment already, and the amount you plan to invest a stb should not be a deal breaker, also check with directv and tell them you are thinking of switching to dish for hidef ask if they have any deals on hd equipment, I pressed the customer retention dept and got the dish and install free also a 100 dollar credit for the purchase of the stb. If you have to replace your box anyway you might as well drop a few hundred and get the hd box, you will be amazed at the picture quality on your setup.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Chip,

Dish is in the process of aquiring DirecTV. However, no one knows for sure what the landscape will look like when the merger is complete. Dish has stated that all equipment owners will receive new boxes, at no charge to the owner, after the merger is completed. There has been some confussion on the part of intergated STB/HDTV systems as to how they would be affected. No one seems to know the whole story or isn't saying publicly yet. It may be a year or more after the merger is complete before we see new STB to receive the new Dish/DirecTV signal but until then I wouldn't worry to much about about getting a new HD STB, wheter it be a Dish or DirecTV unit. They both handle OTA HD quite well. In the mean time you'll be watching a lot of HD programs besides DVD's. So enjoy it.

·
Registered
739 Posts
My problem with Dish saying they "will replace the receiver" is the math. Assuming it would cost Dish $120 per receiver (more or less) to switch out the 10M DirecTV users, that is $1.2B. Evan if it only cost them $50 per box, that is still $500M. Really?

What will happen my lovely HD-100 that so many badmouth?

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Babula

What will happen my lovely HD-100 that so many badmouth?
The same thing that will happen to my lovely HIRD-E86 that you Sony owners are bashing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.