AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to all this, so bear with me! I bought a HLM617 about three weeks ago, and a week later had the local cable company install a HD box. The picture was OK on all channels BUT the HD channels (of which there are only six.) The channels were like they were shaking at a very high speed. Cox came out and replaced the box, but it still happened, so they claimed it was the TV. To their credit, Showcase (a Tweeter company) replaced the set a couple of weeks later (but it was a different model--a HLN 617--I can't tell the difference). Although the picture is much better (the first TV, when it changed from a dark to a light scene on a movie, looked like you were looking through a screen door!) the HD signal still has some minor shaking. My question, should I take the box back to Cox and try the satellite version of HD with Direct TV? Has anyone else had this problem.

If you are kind enough to respond, do so as if you are talking to a 5 year old! lol!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Yes, exactly same happened to mine.

Only difference is my cable company is time warner cable.

My cable box is scientific America's Explorer 3100HD.

I have changed this boxes three times and nothings better.

I am subscribing both DirecTV and Cable for HD and on the DirecTV the picture is wonderful for HD.

You should change the thread title to HD Cable box problem with Sammy617.

I am still watching the cable HD but my wife hate it.

Thanks

Hyung

·
Registered
20 Posts
I also have the same issue with the same set. Here is what I believe is happening and it has nothing to do with the set. I have a motorola HD cable box. The output signal being is tied to component 3 which is set up to handle 480P/720P/1080i. The HD channels are coming in and easily handled by this input. The non-HD signals do not seem to be outputted from the cable box in an acceptable format. These appear jumbled. I ran a coax cable from the box to antenna A. This solves the problem but I have to change my input on the TV to antenna A. The tv is not at fault I believe the cable box is not capable of outputting a signal the set can use through the component input.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
This issue has been reported to Samsung by me and one other person on this forum. His handle escapes me at the moment. When a tech went out to look at his set, he was able to reproduce the problem using a signal generator. The issue occurs when you feed the set a 1080i signal. It does not happen when you feed it 720p.

Have you tried turning DNIe off? If not, try that.

Thanks,

Frank T. Lee

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Frank, unfortunately nothing happened when I turned the dnie off. Does this just happen with cable? Would changing to a dish work?

Thank all of you for your replies.

Bruce

·
Registered
85 Posts
I have HLN617W for 2 weeks now. Using OTA tuner Samsung SIR T165. The HDTV viewing for OTA in Chicago area has about 5 to 6 channels. When they do have boadast in true HD, the picture is amazing and just great. The local PBS channel (WTTW-DT) has really great shows on European site seeing. Everything in HDTV is just perfect. Everything else, depends on input source quality. Ranges from really bad to good.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
hibernian1,

The problem occurs when you feed the set 1080i over component. It would not matter if it was cable/directv/dish.

-ftlee

·
Registered
787 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ftlee
The problem occurs when you feed the set 1080i over component. It would not matter if it was cable/directv/dish
Do you mean to say that in order to avoid "the problem," one should feed the set 1080i over s-video (or lesser quality input)?

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Maurice2,

You cannot feed 1080i over S-Video or Composite. I only mentioned component because I have been unable to test 1080i over DVI so, I do not know if this problem occurs over DVI.

-ftlee

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.