AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First I will explain the setup, then the problem.

Setup:

I have a Bose V20 that connects to my 52" Magnavox LCD via HDMI. Sources into the V20 include a Time Warner DVR (Magnavox I think) and a PC with high speed video card and BluRay. Both are connected to the V20 by HDMI.

Problem:

During operation of both sources a lose my signal (tv thinks there's no input) at various times. It seems to be anytime I am making a drastic change to the video signal. With the DVR, if I try to rewind or change channels it will almost always happen. With the PC, it happens more frequently. Some times I can surf across web pages with no problem, but other times it blanks out with every click of the mouse. I can watch an entire Blu Ray movie with no problem. Oh, and sometimes it will lose the sound but the video will be there.

I have replaced the V20 to rule out the unit being the problem. If you are going to blame Bose, please have an explanation and not just a flame.

Oh, and the HDMI run to the TV is about 30 feet. So, trying different cables isn't as easy as it sounds.

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
Have you completely bypassed the Bose system to rule it out? I'd move one of the source components closer for testing and bypass the 30 foot cable next. Basically need to rule out the source of your problem one by one.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will do that tonight. I did it with the cable box before I exchanged the Bose unit, but I haven't tried it with the PC. The PC will make it pretty clear right away.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I spent about an hour and a half with Bose tech support (obviously I bypassed the bose system and the problem went away). What we came to resolve is that I am having a handshake issue because I am going hdmi from component to bose and hdmi from bose to tv. As soon as I replace one of the hdmi cables from the component to the bose with component cables, it works fine.

Now, my issue is that I don't have component outs on my video card.

Overall, I am glad to resolve the issue (for the most part anyway), but I am disappointed that I essentially have to "lower" a connection to make it work. Granted, theoretically I am getting upscaled back to 1080p via Bose, but it is still a step I don't like.

Has anyone else experienced this with other components or systems? The claim is that there are too many handshakes happening that are confusing the system.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts