AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A little good news/bad news for Spider-Man fans...

http://www.titantv.com/ttv/news/Stor...AN-DC_txt.html


Bad News: OTA broadcast rights go to FOX (hopefully by 2004 FOX will have seen the light and start broadcasting true HDTV!)


Good News: HBO gets Pay TV rights. HBO has had some outstanding HDTV transfers - hopefully Spidey will get the treatment he deserves... but will it be OAR? I'm sure Showtime would have done a bang-up job with it... but at least it's not going to be a Starz! exclusive with no HD at all!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,789 Posts
I could really care less that faux is getting it since I have HBO hd, it should be awesome. From reading that it sounds like we won't be getting any of the LoTR series in HD which is sad. That would be great in HD.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,441 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Glimmie
Fox is also one of the D-Theater players. That could mean 28mbs DVHS soon. Aren't direct sales even before PPV and rental?
It is a Sony release and not Fox. No chance whatsoever of a D-VHS
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,692 Posts
sm is 1.85
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,092 Posts
What is the aspect ratio of Spider Man? I heard it was actually shot somewhere between 1.85:1 and 1.33:1 to support normal theater and IMAX showings.


-Mr. Wigggles
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,441 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by MrWigggles
What is the aspect ratio of Spider Man? I heard it was actually shot somewhere between 1.85:1 and 1.33:1 to support normal theater and IMAX showings.


-Mr. Wigggles
Since SM OAR is 1.85 then it was shot flat on 1.37 film either hard matted or soft matted. If it was soft matted (most likely) and no mike, booms or other equipment are in the way it can be opened up to an aspect ratio of 1.37 academy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
105 Posts
Quote:
Since SM OAR is 1.85 then it was shot flat on 1.37 film either hard matted or soft matted. If it was soft matted (most likely) and no mike, booms or other equipment are in the way it can be opened up to an aspect ratio of 1.37 academy.
Actually, though I admittidly have not seen prints, I bet this film changes between being soft-matted for non-FX shots to being hard-matted for FX shots. Most flat, FX heavy films do this (unless they're hard-matted throughout), an example would be Jurrasic Park.

I have access to prints and can probably make a quick check in the morning and report back. My guess though is that showing the film at 1.37 would crop FX shots.

Scott
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,311 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by danm
A little good news/bad news for Spider-Man fans...

http://www.titantv.com/ttv/news/Stor...AN-DC_txt.html


Bad News: OTA broadcast rights go to FOX (hopefully by 2004 FOX will have seen the light and start broadcasting true HDTV!)


Can't see how FOX could be doing HD by 2004. Since they have dismissed HD, and are pressuring the stations to pass 480p without setting a standard for the upconvert resolution, all of the stations have different resolutions! It's a mess...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
67 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jagouar
From reading that it sounds like we won't be getting any of the LoTR series in HD which is sad. That would be great in HD.
Where's it say that? By the time it reaches TBS I predict they will be fully capable of doing it in HD. They're already(as of 2 wks ago) upconverting their OTA signal in Atlanta to 1080i.
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top