AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If i hook up an HD sat box (Dish 6000) to my new 7UY will there be any difference for regular SD channels? Will the quality of the SD feed be improved by the HD box??? Or will it be the same ?

·
Registered
4,791 Posts
I think that your SD feed might actually degrade a bit. When we had our old analog box, the SD channels looked a bit better PQ wise. We upgraded to a new HD box, and the PQ of the analog channels got a tad worse. Again, got upgraded to ANOTHER box, and the PQ dropped again on SD channels. Recently had a firmware update which fixed it a bit, and now I'm just waiting for the next STB to come out. Hopefully it'll help out with the SD signal.

Some people work around this issue by having their SD channels feed through their composite, with HD through component or DVI. The composite can smooth out, or soften the SD signal, allowing it to look a little nicer.

The boxes I'm referring to are Motorola cable boxes, you might want to check in the HDTV hardware section to see if you can get feedback specific to your sat box. :D

-JR

·
Registered
473 Posts
The Dish 6000 will not improve nor degrade SD channels over say the 4000 non-HD receiver (mothballed the 4000 when I got the 6000 about 4 yrs ago).

However any time you increase the size of your monitor, you will notice all the "warts" due to compression that is used to squeeze more channels on a sat. transponder.....same with Directv, though I think they use a different compression algorithm.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Earlier monitors, using the component input, would not allow you to zoom the SD picture to fill screen, not sure about the panny 7uy. You had to use the composite or s-video input. Unless you are going to subscribe to the HD channels, the 6000 would not be of any use (other than local HD stations, if you have any in your area). Suggest you look at Bruzzi's panny comparison thread ( http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=407154 ).

·
Registered
889 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by JuiceRocket
You can zoom the SD picture to fill the screen through component. :)
Is that only if you're feeding it a non HD signal (ie 480i/480p). That's the way it is for my 5UZ.

·
Registered
4,791 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by btwyx
Is that only if you're feeding it a non HD signal (ie 480i/480p). That's the way it is for my 5UZ.
Roger that, even though I have my STB upconvert everything to 480p, the SD channels are the only ones that I can use my aspect ratios on. All HD channels are locked.

-JR

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.