AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently added HD programming to my shaw account (canada), and got a Motorolla DCT6200 box. I have a new Samsung 46" LCD. Originally i had the cable hooked up straight from the wall to the TV, and quality was not too bad for regular channels. Now i have the HD terminal hooked up, and although the high def channels look pretty good, the regular channels look HORRIBLE (channels 2-70).

Just to make sure my mind was not playing tricks on me, I spent some time switching back and forth between using the HD box, and hooking up straight to the TV, and the quality of the straight wall to TV setup was WAY better than the one going through the HD motorola terminal. The 'old school' hookup has better colours, better sound, better contrast etc. I thought running my cable through the HD terminal would make the regular channels look even better, not worse. Anyone know anything about this? Thank you.

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
What you have discovered is that the TV has a better scaler than the cableco STB. Nothing unusual about this. You can just split the coax before the STB and run one to the STB and the other to the TV. The only problem with this is that eventually the cable co is likely to encrypt some of these chs so they won't be viewable without an STB.

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
Your cable provider is likely providing SD digital versions of channels 2-70 when using the box, while the TV is tuning the analog versions. Depending on how far you are from the neighborhood box, how many amplifiers are on the line, the quality of the cable used, the number of splitters in your house, etc., the quality of the analog versions can range from very good to very poor. The digital versions will be the same everywhere, which for most providers means slightly better than the average analog.

·
Registered
916 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker19 /forum/post/15584913

What you have discovered is that the TV has a better scaler than the cableco STB. Nothing unusual about this. You can just split the coax before the STB and run one to the STB and the other to the TV. The only problem with this is that eventually the cable co is likely to encrypt some of these chs so they won't be viewable without an STB.

Biker has it correct in my opinion, but there is another nasty with the Motorola box I tried. The 4:3 signals were stretched to 16:9. There is no way of which I am unaware to "un-stretch" the signal.

In MY case and in MY opinion, the clear QAM were a little sharper via the cable company "antenna cable" connection than via the RGBI from the box.

·
Super Moderator
18,834 Posts
Topic title edited to make more specific

·
Registered
1,493 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singh007 /forum/post/15584884

I recently added HD programming to my shaw account (canada), and got a Motorolla DCT6200 box. I have a new Samsung 46" LCD. Originally i had the cable hooked up straight from the wall to the TV, and quality was not too bad for regular channels. Now i have the HD terminal hooked up, and although the high def channels look pretty good, the regular channels look HORRIBLE (channels 2-70).......

How are you connecting the stb to your hdtv and how is it setup to handle SD for output?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbynum /forum/post/15585178

...... but there is another nasty with the Motorola box I tried. The 4:3 signals were stretched to 16:9. There is no way of which I am unaware to "un-stretch" the signal.....

The Motorola cable stbs can be setup to output SD as un-stretched/non-upconverted 480i to your hdtv. See this page.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by raouliii /forum/post/15585603

How are you connecting the stb to your hdtv and how is it setup to handle SD for output?

The Motorola cable stbs can be setup to output SD as un-stretched/non-upconverted 480i to your hdtv. See this page.

I have the STB setup using component cables. The 2nd part: how is it setup to handle SD for output?...i'm sorry, i don't understand what you mean by that.

·
Registered
102 Posts
In Canada, Bell ExpressVu FTW. Picture quality is tons better and any cable co I've seen.

Can't speak to Star Choice, but either of them is better than cable.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:

I have the STB setup using component cables. The 2nd part: how is it setup to handle SD for output?...i'm sorry, i don't understand what you mean by that.

·
Registered
90 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singh007 /forum/post/15590629

Your box can do 2 things to your Standard Definition (480i/p) signals: it can pass them through as-is, or it can upconvert them to one of the HD standards.

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
You have to use the settings button on your cable box remote and use video in advanced settings. Check the user guide that came with the remote.

·
Registered
916 Posts

Quote:

I didn't keep the box; your link is for DVR versions which I didn't have. The installing tech told me that the box did not offer that; I told him to take it back with him, it offered me nothing positive, and only negative.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbynum /forum/post/15593835

I didn't keep the box; your link is for DVR versions which I didn't have. The installing tech told me that the box did not offer that; I told him to take it back with him, it offered me nothing positive, and only negative.

The same setup applies to the non-DVR moto stbs such as the DCT5100/6200s. Had you kept the box, you could have, in fact, set it up to pass SD as 480i. The "tech" may have been confused.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts