AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wish the 360 had Gigabit Ethernet, but seeing how it does not....

What will give the higher speeds for streaming from my PC to my Xbox 360?

Using the new Microsoft Wireless N Adapter with a WRT610N on the 5Ghz frequency, or just connecting straight to the 10/100 Ethernet.

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
You're asking because the Microsoft adapter interfaces via USB and thus doesn't have the 100 Mbps limitation that wired fast ethernet has? While it is theoretically possible for 802.11n to reach speeds of 600 Mbps, I would imagine that under normal circumstances, the wired connection would be faster, more reliable, and less prone to flucuations in the data rate. That's not to say that there aren't circumstances where the wireless might be faster, but at any significant distance, a wired run will work better.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slordak /forum/post/18202495

You're asking because the Microsoft adapter interfaces via USB and thus doesn't have the 100 Mbps limitation that wired fast ethernet has? While it is theoretically possible for 802.11n to reach speeds of 600 Mbps, I would imagine that under normal circumstances, the wired connection would be faster, more reliable, and less prone to flucuations in the data rate. That's not to say that there aren't circumstances where the wireless might be faster, but at any significant distance, a wired run will work better.

Yea, that is exactly why I am asking

If you could get the Wireless N above 100Mbps it would be worth it.

It is sad that 11n real world speeds are actually so slow....

·
Registered
638 Posts
I have the n adapter with a nice N router.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Ethernet should give you much better performance. Even with dual band and on the 5ghz spectrum, it is still hard for Wireless N to break 100 mpbs in most homes unless you are very close to the router.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Why do you need higher than 100mbs? Even the highest bitrate blueray doesn't come even close to that. The max speed you will ever need is that equal to the max bitrate of the video file you are trying to transfer. The XBOX doesn't really buffer ahead much or transfer chunks of the file for internal storage so everything else is just wasted bandwidth.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
also, while wireless N can achieve good bandwidth, that doesn't mean video will stream well.

Wireless can drop lots of packets. For file transfers, it's merely a resend; the order doesn't matter. For video, the order DOES matter. Drop too many packets and you'll get stuttering/pausing, even though the bandwidth is technically sufficient.

Ethernet doesn't have this problem to any significant degree.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts