AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if broadcast companies, carrying HD signals OTA are going to start carrying the same signals of Dish systems? I know DirecTV offers an HBO and a Showtime channel this way.

Why have they not done this already, since they are already broadcasting in HD?

I am researching HD-STB's, but would prefer not to have a 30' mast antenna over my house.

Please advise,

Nick

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,617 Posts
In the US, we have 2 DBS satellite providers, DirecTV & Dish Network.

DirecTV has 2 full time HDTV channels. HBO-HD and a combination 10 minute demo loop (18 hrs a day) and PPV Movie channel (6 hrs a day).

Dish Network has 4 full time HDTV channels. HBO-HD, Showtime-HD, PPV movie channel and a demo loop channel.

At this time, neither have any network (CBS, PBS, ABC, NBC) HDTV. This is due to both technical (bandwidth restrictions) and legal (program broadcast ownership rights) reasons. Dish Network is talking about soon offering a local CBS HDTV feed to it's customers, but this is not a sure thing, as yet.

In Canada, both DBS providers, ExpressVu & StarChoice, offer HDTV channels that have US network programming. You can get this in the US, but it takes a little finagling and is commonly described as "grey market" commerce. Do a search in the HDTV Programing Forum for the two providers names, for more details.

As far as antennas go, I think of mine as a visible sign of the technical expertise within.

------------------

"Better living thru modern, expensive electronics devices"

tm

·
Registered
730 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by nickd61:
I am researching HD-STB's, but would prefer not to have a 30' mast antenna over my house.
I take it that you don't have line of sight to Sutro from your house w/o a 30' mast? With a good antenna and a good pre-amp, you can probably pick up the Sacramento stations.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.