AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love Netflix and have used it for years.

I recommend it to friend and acquaintances

I realized yesterday that when I get HD Tivo,

I wont need Netflix anymore.

I'm speaking for myself, but I realized that between

HBO HD movies, SHO HD movies, and PPV HD movies,

I'll be able to see all the movies I could want without

DVDs.

I dont really watch movies in SD because I couldnt stand

the fact that they were Pan & Scan and NTSC quality.

I couldnt watch the Hi-Def movies because my kids/life

make it virtually impossible to watch a movie without interruption.

I guess for that random oldie-but-a-goody it wiould be useful,

but can you come up with 4 of those a month? Maybe.

What do you think?

Frank

·
Registered
152 Posts
You may find the selection of movies on Showtime, HBO and PPV to be somewhat limiting. Netflix has an incredible variety not found anywhere else.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Considering the HD Tivo tops out at 20 hours and doesn't have any firewire for archiving you might want to hold off on canceling NetFlix. I find a household can fill up 20 hours in a week easy.

·
Premium Member
2,399 Posts
This again raises the question as to which premium services (HBO, SHO etc.) will carry what movies. I hate not to rent a current movie with the hope that it may be on a premium service in HD. Without STARZ HD on sat. I will keep NetFlix. I also love the old film noir from the 40's and 50's.

I will never cancel HBO or SHO in any event because of boxing and the great original series (I sure miss STREET TIME).

·
Registered
12,709 Posts
And don't forget, too many films on cable in HD are formatted to fit your screen (example, Pulp Fiction chopped from 2.35 to 1.78) so a format like DVD is still the most reliable way to get OAR material.

·
Registered
785 Posts
I dropped HBO, SHO, Starz, etc. a couple years ago in favor of Netflix, too. And I too have never regretted that choice. The movies on the HD premium channels are a mixed bag of cropped and real OAR so that's a problem for me as is the delay and uncertainty as to when they will be presented (many months away from the DVD release).

As for original programming on HBO and others - I can be very patient and wait because sooner (not later it seems), they all are being released on DVD and available through NetFlix.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I sincerely doubt that having an HD Tivo will have any effect on my continuance of either Netflix or D* movie-channel subscriptions. I find that there's generally

·
Registered
140 Posts
netflix

Donnie Darko R Thrillers Short Wait

Swimming Pool UR Thrillers Long Wait

Out of Time PG-13 Thrillers Long Wait

Uptown Girls PG-13 Comedy Long Wait

American Wedding UR Comedy Very Long

Wait

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Can you say OAR? you have to know (reading AVS) only Showtime does OAR, and not that much, how is it, now HBO stretch-o-vision is OK? You guys gots to be kidding, or smoking something. ;-) I'd stick with Netflex and / or D-Theater.

Other than for 16X9 content of HDNet, Discover-HD, and HDNet Movies why would you want / need a HD Tivo? Remember you can have it only one way.

ROFLOL..............

·
Registered
515 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by MOTOMATTA
netflix

Wait
Give me a break. I've been getting movies for 5 years from Netflix and there is rarely a movie with a wait.

·
UHD Addict
38,225 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by PassedPawn
Give me a break. I've been getting movies for 5 years from Netflix and there is rarely a movie with a wait.
Same here. 5 years with Netflix next month. The new releases are usually shipped on the Monday, even though they show the release date is Tuesday(I get them in 1 day 80% of the time). It's rare I have a long wait in my list for a new release.

·
Registered
439 Posts
You netflix wait will vary depends on where you live. NetFlix wasn't that great in MN when it first came out. Buy they eventually put in a local distro center. Turn aorund times and avalibility of movies increased a lot then. I guess if you lived in a small media market you might have a bit of a wait between movies.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by kagato
You netflix wait will vary depends on where you live. NetFlix wasn't that great in MN when it first came out. Buy they eventually put in a local distro center. Turn aorund times and avalibility of movies increased a lot then. I guess if you lived in a small media market you might have a bit of a wait between movies.
That is a good point. They have almost 30 distribution centers now. I guess each one has different stocking levels, and different waits. Perhaps I was too critical of the guy who seemed to imply that is entire queue was "on wait".

·
Registered
140 Posts
:) All i did was copy and paste my queue:) didn't mean to offend you
Quote:
I've been getting movies for 5 years from Netflix and there is rarely a movie with a wait.
I've been getting movies for a couple of months and there is aways a movie on wait presently 13 in wait on my queue :)

:) I like netflix fast turnaround,great selection,and i don't have to worry that the movie got recorded from start to finish, i don't think HD Tivo can replace that :)

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Well to each his own, but if you love movies there's simply no possible way HD Tivo replaces Netflix. None. As has been mentioned here already, most movies in HD on the networks you mention butcher them. All together now..."O-A-R O-A-R O-A-R"... ;)

Brian

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Milk Run, I see that you are a brand new member. So I guess you are a newbie about the ways of the world. How can recording 35 hours of HD replace great SD material upconverted like I have with Fujitsu P50XHA10US? I just watched "Seabiscuit" and my wife thought it was HD. Now granted I used a Sony DVP-S9000ES DVD player with a great scaler and the best plasma scaler the AVM processor with Forudja scaler but it was excellent. Will I get rid of it and not subscribe to Netflix. No way, not until everything is downloadable via a TeraByte Hard Drive or more. The new HD Tivo will record 35 hours of HD material and why use it for anything more when you can use SD Tivos that are cheap to record stuff that you want to watch but is not HD. I must be missing something or you are awfully naive. Also, I'm not sure why I have HBO because they movies are either "B" or "C" grade movies or if they are good I've seen them 10 times. The same thing on an airline, I take my PC and watch my own movies via DVD because I have never seen a good movie on an airline.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by MOTOMATTA
netflix

Wait
Exactly why I quit them a couple of years ago. I even gave them a second chance after quitting them the first time. I got tired of the same old bull.

I wish Net-Flix success, but after my experiences with them (I was with them the first day they opened), I've no further interest.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.