AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
If this box does everything that has been promoted I'm there in a minute. Firewall or not, HMO or not. I hope it makes it by March 2003.

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
Firewire is a must.........No Firewire no jonesy...End of story

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
Some people seem to think that Tivo's software is so superior to everyone Else's that nothing even comes close to it and is a waste of money...............I'm not one of them by the way. :p

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Is this with or without the DirecTV support?

With DirecTV I vote no.

Without (OTA only) is a yes.

-phil

·
Registered
280 Posts
Based on the stated specs (including no Firewire) I will buy two (and probably 3) as soon as they become available.

Marc

·
Registered
20,517 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jones07
Some people seem to think that Tivo's software is so superior to everyone Else's that nothing even comes close to it and is a waste of money...............I'm not one of them by the way. :p
I am. I can imagine software that's just as good--ReplayTV was quite decent and I'm certain that UltimateTV is nice. However, TiVo is the finest UI design on any piece of consumer equipment which I have ever seen.

I'm a cable subscriber, so I don't care about HD DirecTiVo. I'm hoping that they'll come out with a CableCARD equiped device. I also don't care about 1394--no interest in archiving.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
My lord, I've seen the Scientific Atlanta PVR and the Dish PVR and neither can touch the Tivo experience or likelihood of recording a program that you want.

I would bet that Tivo will ultimately make a CableCARD equipped device, but it seems like it is yet another year away given that we've not even heard a peep about it from Tivo.

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
I have the 169time system so I'm not on the market for an HD recording device, but if I did firewire would be a MUST. NO FIREWIRE, NO SALE.

·
Premium Member
7,158 Posts
I'll still run Dish for firewire, movie archive but am enticed by Tivo ease of use/features for fire and forget viewing.

·
Registered
721 Posts
I also have the 169time equipment and will keep it for the possibility of archiving as we go along, but I will definitely add a HDDIRECTIVO the day it is available. My current DIRECTIVO is the one piece of electronic equipment even my wife would never, ever let get away. The ease of use, the wishlists, the multiple tuners we have gotten used to, and the reliability all would make this a must purchase.

Firewire would be nice, but absolutely not a dealbreaker for myself or my family. For those who remember, the DIRECTIVO's shipped with dual tuners from the first day they were available, but it was several months before it was software upgraded to utilize both. While I don't expect this to happen with the Firewire, I would not be totally shocked if it did for future expandability.

Jeff

·
Registered
180 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by michaeltscott
I am. I can imagine software that's just as good--ReplayTV was quite decent and I'm certain that UltimateTV is nice. However, TiVo is the finest UI design on any piece of consumer equipment which I have ever seen.

I'm a cable subscriber, so I don't care about HD DirecTiVo. I'm hoping that they'll come out with a CableCARD equiped device. I also don't care about 1394--no interest in archiving.
I have to agree, When UTV came out it had two tuners active and that was a big advantage over the DTivo. I seriously considered switching not knowing if TIVO would ever activate the second tuner. I waited and TIVO shortly activated the 2nd tuner.

I've been a satellite customer since '94 and our cable (Currently Charter) really sucks. No HD, no Internet. I'll stick with Tivo until something else comes around. I do use the Hipix for my HDTV recording while I wait. I will also look closely at the Dish offering when it becomes available.

I can't live with the shortcomings of the Zeinth/LG offerings (can't record/watch recordings at the same time) it's just not practical for me.

I don't care to archive so firewire is not an issue but, I can understand why others want this. THe same with HMO.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DaveFi
Too late now. Cable will offer PVR functions so no need for TIVO anymore.
Yeah, if you want a piece of crap that doesn't handle basic features like season passes...

·
Registered
530 Posts
My wife an I are UTV addicts. And never ever watch anything live.

We got a standalone DTC-100 for HD and we never ever use it. It only shows live tv. We got kids, work, an occasional social engagement ... , and can't live our life to the programers schedual.

We need HD time shift, and NEED IT NOW!!!!!!!!!!!

We can live with out the archiving

·
Registered
71 Posts
Being a user of TIVO for several years and now an Explorer 8000 with Bright House, I am amazed that the TIVO users think it is superior. The 8000 is superior in every aspect. Selecting programs is easier on the 8000 (directly from on-screen program guide), the 8000 can record two shows at once while watching a previously recorded one, and season pass is easier on the 8000. The picture capacity is as good and so is storage capacity. In addition, no cost to buy the 8000 and the monthly cost is less than TIVO. When the HD unit comes out I will be able to swap out the 8000 for the 8000HD at no cost. The 8000 wins in my book.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
Personally, I'll stick with the Zenith products, which don't have any subscription fees associated with them. As long as I can set a recurring recording on a weekly or daily basis, I don't personally feel the need for features like "season passes".

It's a matter of personal preferences -- while many people seem to really like the online program guides and other features offered by TiVo, I am happy with a hard disk recorder that programs manually in much the same way as a VCR or DVD recorder.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.