AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As many of you, I have struggled with an unusable KD box (linking a JVC30K to a Barco projector) and that prompted me to look at all of the other options out there. Most of the stuff out there either doesn't work properly with HD source (tri-sync), doesn't remove synch pulses or is too expensive for a home user. The only option I could see was to design a box that would work. After a couple of months I ended up with a box that:

- Works with any progressive or 1080i/p source

- Has one component input and one VGA pass through(buffered) input with BNC (RGBH/sV) and VGA outputs

- Inputs switch selectable

- Built in power supply

- Supports H and V or S (combined synch)

- Removes synch from RGB

- Provides proper black level clamping

I have tested the box with Denon and Sony progressive DVD players and JVC30K/40K driving Barco and Sony projectors.

I was wondering what other features should I put in to make it even more usable. Would more component inputs make sense?

Thanks for feedback.

Petr

·
Registered
265 Posts
I also have a Barco Projector that only accepts RGB and could never get the first and second generation KD transcoders to work. An important feature to me is to automatically follow as input rates change. I have my STBs set to native, so scan rates change from 1080i to 720p depending on the channel.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jay,

The transcoder will process any rate automatically. It takes around a half a second to find and recover the synch after rate change.

Petr

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have been down the same road. I have a Barco 808s, JVC30000 and a Motorola HD cable box. I also came to the conclusion that I should build my own unit. I have started, using a Xilinx FPGA to handle the sync processing, blanking and clamping. I have yet to lay out a PCB. My only change over what you suggested was to add two inputs that were switched, so as to include a 2-1 mux. However, sounds like you are further along. do you plan on selling this device? By the way, do you use the recovered sync rate to change the color matrix values?

Regards,

Ed Horton

·
Registered
192 Posts
Don't forget to add the capablity to auto-detect gray bars and to change thier level or replace them with black, or vise versa, according to user preference.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Petr,

I am still interested in getting one of your transcoders. I really only need a single component imput and RGBHV output. I would prefer if the output were BNCs.

BTW, I have sent you a PM.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.