AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you have a HD cable box from time warner (they are supposedly giving them out free), do you even need a HD STB?

I believe their box will have component outputs into a HD-ready tv. So, it sounds like you wouldn't need the STB. (unless you want OTA signals)

·
Registered
130 Posts
If you're one of the lucky ones who has a HDTV box from TW you're set, you don't need an additional STB unless you want OTA signals.

Of course for us in NYC it's impossible to get a HD box from TWC as they are still "testing" them.

(blarg!)

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
At the Home Entertainment Expo, the CTO of Time Warner (not time warner nyc) was there.

He said nyc should start to get the boxes. He even gave out a phone number to call (I didnt get it).

I wouldnt hold my breath tho

·
Registered
272 Posts
Time Warner Manhattan is transmitting unscrambled HBO and CBS-DT hi def on an experimental basis as 8-VSB via their regular cable feed. Just hook your tuner up ahead of the cable box and tune to channel 46 (CBS) and 48 (HBO) using the OTA frequencies.

·
Registered
130 Posts
In response to asking about the HD box (and James' email address)

-----------------

Thank you for your message to Time Warner Cable.

Currently we are broadcasting CBS in HDTV on UHF channel 46. In Manhattan only we are broadcasting HBO in HDTV on UHF channel 48. You will need to purchase an HDTV decoder box to view these channels if your TV is not HDTV ready. Please keep in mind that Time Warner Cable is not a provider of HDTV, as the signal is broadcast directly from the station.

Please visit the HDTV website @ www.HDTV.net for more information about cost and purchasing of a HDTV decoder box. If you decide to purchase a HDTV decoder box to view channels in HDTV, you still will need Time Warner Cable to provide you with a cable box so that you may view the scrambled channels on our cable system.

Beta Testing for our new HDTV DTV converters has not yet begun. This box, when released, will allow you to see additional channels in HDTV. At this time we cannot provide any further information regarding the availability of additional HDTV stations carried on our cable system.

Time Warner Cable is always looking toward the future and as more information, special services and technology becomes available, we will share it with our customers. Please refer to our website @ www.twcnyc.com for any future plans, services and news updates.

If you have any further questions please contact us at [email protected] or call our 24 hour Customer Support XPRESSLINE at 212-674-9100 or 718-358-0900.

Sincerely,

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Customer Support

-----------------------------------------------------------

Of course you'll notice she doesn't give me James' email address (which unfortunately is not [email protected] )

Oh well, if I ever get a good answer I'll let everyone know.

Ben

·
Registered
130 Posts
Ok, I was able to track down Jim's email address, and find the phone number we need to call in NYC to get the boxes.

The # is 212-598-7363, the man's name is Bob Watson.

I left voice mail on his line and hopefully the supply of boxes is NOT extremely limited, or I will be kicking myself for posting this number http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif .

Yes, I'm a bit like a dog with a bone.

Ben

·
Registered
164 Posts
Question I have will the Time Warner box broadcast (*CBSNBCABCFOXWPIX) the channels I enjoy now in HD via OTA the same? DTV cable is now offered in my area from Time Warner Cable but I have no idea if this is the new system.

Quote:
by holysin

TWC in NYC is that they really have no real competition from the satellites.

How can you state this? are you kidding me? Maybe you don't travel much in the 5 boroughs in NYC but your dead wrong on that quote. Everyone from outside NYC thinks that Manhattan Island is New York City, it is the smallest part of the 5 boroughs and gets the most publicity. I don't have any figures available to defend my views but if you travel as I do around the area you have to notice all the satellite dishes from every imaginable location, and it hurts Time Warner BIG TIME. DirecTV and Dish systems (* The Competition) have put a big hurt on the pocket books at Time Warner.
Graphics

------------------
STOP DVI/HDCP AND DFAST boycott JVC

·
Registered
130 Posts
Update on the boxes:

TWCNYC is awaiting a delivery of HD boxes. These are expected sometime in June. (yay!) So if you call Bob you can be put on the waiting list.

Re: Competition in NYC:

When I refer to NYC I generally mean Manhattan (where I reside). Which may be the smallest in area, but also has the largest concentration of people in such a small area. As such TWC makes to put it bluntly a crap load of money due to people in Co-ops not being able to use dishes either due to co-op rules (which yes, are illegal, but if you want to live there....) or due to so many flipping buildings. I'd be willing to bet that even with the boroughs included you see a higher % of people in the suburbs of say, indiana with dishes then in NYC...

But that's just my opinion. (Of course I origionally meant midtown when I made that quote, after all, if you don't pay 2k for a studio or + you're not truly in NYC ;-) )

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
For those other areas that have received these HD boxes, have they started to charge for the HD channels?

I wonder how much it'll cost just to get HD CBS, which you could get OTA. I assume the HD box doesnt have input for OTA reception.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I personally am using satellite and OTA here in Raleigh, NC, but I know of a number of people in the area that have been waiting for months for their HD box from TWC. There are some people who do have them and I don't think they are 'testing' them.

I don't know if TWC is having a) supply problems b) problems with the box c) usual 'cable' company service issues or all three.

Richard

·
Registered
130 Posts
FWIW I've heard "rumors" that TWC is switching HD boxes from the Explorer box to another box made by Pioneer. Amazingly enough that rumor had the switch taking place this summer.... with any luck that's what the hold up is here in NYC.

We'll find out in a month or so, though it would be nice to have a cable/hdtv box that matched my receiver.

[This message has been edited by holysin (edited 05-17-2001).]

·
Registered
42 Posts
S-A's 2000hd box that every one is waiting for was never made or ordered in large quanity by TWC. AS a tester for one the boxes, it has some flaws, and no hd software for PG info.

However S-A press release states the 3100HD a 2nd generation replacement box for the 2000HD. Also that TWC has them on order in large no,s.

RICHARD

·
Registered
272 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by richard-s:
However S-A press release states the 3100HD a 2nd generation replacement box for the 2000HD. Also that TWC has them on order in large no,s.

RICHARD
Any idea if they put out QAM or VSB, or are the outputs just component?

·
Registered
42 Posts
JOSH

I checked SCIENTIFIC-ATLANTA,S WEB SITE AND COULD FIND NO SPECS. The press release did mention component outputs.

I am more hopefull ther will be a 1394 flatwire for the soon to be released DVCR HD RECORDERS.

RICHARD

·
Registered
272 Posts
Oh well -- I'm leaning to a disk-based server sysem to record the 19.2 mbit/sec ATSC stream, and if the only ouputs are component, I imagine that won't work. Firewire maybe -- I'm kind of concerned with what I've been reading of their copy protection scheme, though. From what I hear they're kind of throwing out the baby with the bath water on this one . . .

Josh

·
Registered
74 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by FaithInMe:
If you have a HD cable box from time warner (they are supposedly giving them out free), do you even need a HD STB?

I believe their box will have component outputs into a HD-ready tv. So, it sounds like you wouldn't need the STB. (unless you want OTA signals)
I have had a TWC HD box (GI) for about 3 months. They aren't exactly "free" because a)there is a small monthly fee ($3.95) and b) the box belongs to TWC. So if you consider renting to be free, then they are free.

You don't need a HD STB to decode the HD signal, but you do need a STB to decode the digital cable (also $3.95/month). You can't get HDTV on TWC without getting digital cable (about $10/month more than standard cable). So if all you want is to go from standard cable to HD cable, you are looking at a cost of about $15-20/month with tax.

The GI HD decoder can output either component or RGBHV output. Apparently, some of the digital cable boxes also have a digital audio output, but mine only has analog audio out, so the audio for your HD channels goes through a different input on your receiver than the non-HDTV channels.

In Houston, TWC does not yet carry the HD signal from PBS or NBC, but TWC claims to be working on the carriage issues.

Good Luck.

[This message has been edited by BondDude (edited 05-21-2001).]

·
Registered
130 Posts
News on the boxes coming to NYC:

they will "just" be the 2100HD box, SA projections on the 3100HD are for late this year.

Still any HD box is better then none.

Ben

·
Registered
272 Posts
I just went to the Scientific Atlanta site and was met by this profound silliness:

Access to the product catalog is solely for customers, employees or distributors of Scientific-Atlanta, Inc. If you do not belong to one of the these categories, access to the product catalog is strictly prohibited. If you're not in one of these categories and need more product information, please contact us.

Anyone have access to the silly thing?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Thanks for the heads up holysin. I called Mr. Watson and he actually called me back. I was able to get on the list. I'll keep my fingers crossed for the June date but I would truthfully be happy with any date.

Thanks again for the post!

-JesseNYC

1 - 20 of 68 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.