AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am sorry if this is a super newb question but I actually did search but the better part of an hour trying to find out the information I wanted. Hope you guys can help! =)

I have an htpc with a radeon 9800 and I was about to buy the new divco fusion 5 gold hd tuner card. I also have time warner cable in new york city with the SA 8300HD box. I love the 8300HD but it would be nice to back up some of the shows I record to dvd for travelling, etc.

My first silly question is: can i hook the coax cable coming from the wall directly into the fusion 5?? If so, could I even change channels? Lastly, if I have another splitter (one feed going to 8300hd, one going to cable modem, and one going to the fusion 5) would that degrade quality across the board?

Also my area isn't great for OTA reception ( live in an apartment building).

Finally, if i just wanted to record tv directly from the 8300hd, i guess i could just set up BTV to record the same exact things as the 8300hd so it would think it's changing channels but the 8300hd is doing all the work...the htpc will just be recording at the same time the 8300 is recording. hope that makes sense... =)

what's the best output from the 8300 to record from? s-video?

thanks!

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Search for threads with "QAM" in it.

Short answer: you can view your cable HD programs via Fusion card if it is unecrypted.

Do a search. There are a ton of threads on this.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
gameboy, thanks for replying. i found some qam info but nothing that directly answered my question or explained what would happen to the quality if I split it three ways.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.