AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Noob here, trying to figure things out, and getting more confused by the minute. I'll tell ya' what I have and then what I'd like to be able to do.

ATI Radeon 9800 Pro (not AIW)

Athlon XP 1800+

768MB RAM

Win XP Pro

Hauppage WinTV-Go

Dell 2005FPW 20" widescreen (1680x1050) flat panel display.

VGA card has DVI out and is connected to the monitor's DVI in.

I'd like to be able to view my HD locals (Comcast basic, Boston area) on my PC, as I don't have the cake to buy an HDTV at the moment. Don't really care about the premium HD stuff for now. I'm also a huge Tivo fan and so would like to do timeshifting of HD programming.

Given the right tuner card, can I use the current VGA card/monitor setup as is to view HD programming (i.e no extra cables or daughtercards), both live and time shifted (assuming proper software)? I was a little confused tonight when looking at the MyHD quickstart guide online, because it looked like I was going to need to use some external cables.

My understanding from the research I've done is that in order to view HD off of cable, the locals would need to be unencrypted and I'd need a card that is QAM capable. I'd also like to be able to remove the WinTV-Go board and view analog programming off of cable. I'd also like to be able to get HD OTA if the cable option doesn't work.

I believe his narrows things down to the MyHD, the Avermedia 180, and the FusionHDTV 5 or 3.

Am I on the right track here? If not what am I overlooking?

Thanks for any advice, this is all new territory for me.

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
SageTV has a beta that supports the Fusion cards now (and maybe the A180--not sure), but I don't think they do QAM yet (nor does MCE). That pretty much leaves you with the MyHD-130 card given the state of the Fusion software and the lack of any software with the A180.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. Looks like the MyHD is really my only option here, which is fine.

I'm still a bit confused though. Will I be able to view fullscreen HDTV on the PC without getting the DVI-D daughter card? I was looking at configuration diagrams on the Digital Connection website, and the one for DVI seems to imply that I'd need a daughtercard for full screen viewing. Is there software that would allow the same thing directly through the DVI connection on my VGA card? :confused:

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
You don't need the DVI card for full screen viewing. If you have a separate monitor, you can hook the MyHD up to component inputs with a fairly cheap VGA to Comonent cable. If you want to also see your Windows Desktop and other Windows programs, you'll need a VGA to Component transcoder. This assumes your set doesn't accept VGA inputs directly.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Also you can use the purple loopback cable with the MyHD so when you launch MyHD, it essentially replaces the signal from your VGA monitor with the signal coming out of the MyHD card. It's just more convenient to use a second monitor, but it is not required, nor is the DVI card to do this.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by videolover
Since you are using XP pro and not MCE, I would use the MyHD. If you were to use MCE, I'd use the Fusion5
How come?

Gerald

·
Registered
292 Posts
Gerald,

I prefer the MyHD because it is hardware based and I feel like it gives a better picture than a software based card. IMHO the tuner in the MyHD is the best. However, if I had MCE, it only takes software cards and while the software that comes with the fusion isn't the best, just use the MCE software and it is a sweet performer. A lot of people prefer to use MCE since it is great at doing what it does.

for what it's worth.

·
Registered
7,535 Posts
fwiw, I have the MyHD 130 and I love it (using a 1900XP w/ an old ti4200 gfx card). Yes the base card is capable of fullscrean without the dvi card.

I would suggest before picking one of the software based cards (if you go that route), that you test out 1080i and 720p video clips to make sure your 1800xp & 9800Pro will play them fluidly. I don't know if it will our not, but you should check beforehand to make sure.

-Suntan

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
You should also ask around or check to see what happens on that LCD when it is driven by the MyHD daughter card or VGA directly from MyHD. There are specific resolutions supported and 1680x1050 isn't one of them. Computer monitor LCDs don't generally have good scalers or Component inputs, so you may not like the results. I think people who have this kind of display have been happier with software playback with something like TheaterTek. Using software playback eliminates the benefit of the hardware decoding in the more expensive MyHD card. MyHD is a good solution for situations where you could use a set-top box because it supports STB-like resolutions very well.

Good Luck,

- Mike

·
Registered
7,535 Posts
Good point miimura, the MyHD supports these progressive resolutions:

720x480p

864x480

800x600p

1024x768p

1280x720p

1280x1024p

1360x768p

as well as

1440x1080i

1920x1080i

I would check to make sure that one of these looks good on your monitor as its scaling capabilities are probably not up to the level of most high end TV displays.

-Suntan

·
Registered
573 Posts
My knee-jerk reaction was "the AverMedia A180 is really cheap at Amazon - $75", but then I went back and looked at your rig and saw the AthlonXP 1800+ cpu. So the majority of people answering you have a good point - the hardware based cards are probably your best bet, even though they're pricier (MyHD 130's run around $219, AccessDTV's are a bit dated, are huge cards, and run $199 - I can say all that, I own one :).

'Course, on the third hand, I got a Sempron 2600+ and motherboard for $65 at Fry's this weekend for a secondary PC. You could get one of those and an A180 for a total of $140, thus saving $60-80, and having a more capable PC in the bargain. Don't feel like reinstalling your OS and whatnot? Don't blame you; for close to the same price, you can get just the CPU if your current motherboard will take it.

So, really, there are a lot of options for you, you have to decide what's best. One thing to keep in mind - there are a LOT of non-MCE front ends for HDTV out there (MeedioTV, GB-PVR, MediaPortal, GotAllMedia, etc) - and all of them pretty much only work with the software based HDTV cards (Fusion, A180, ATI HDTV Wonder, etc). Whereas with the hardware based cards like MyHD, AccessDTV, HiPix, etc cards you'll be "stuck" using the stock software they come with.

--KS

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have the MyHD MDP-130, I have the VGA output connected to a PB6100 projector, looks pretty good

For some reason however if I have the output set to 1080i the sides, top & bottom of the picture are cut off, I change it to 720p and it's fine. I'm guessing it's since my PJ is only SVGA but I'm not really sure.

·
Registered
4,038 Posts
I was using my MyHD MDP-130 and an ATI 9600 Pro AIW with the VGA input on my Dell 2005fpw. The 2005fpw does not work properly with the HD resolutions (1920x1080i & 1280x720p) through the VGA connection. The colors are all washed out. However, I used the 1360x760p output of the MyHD card and the picture was great.

I now have an X800XL AIW with a 2405fpw and I connect using DVI output on the daughtercard.

Michael

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.