AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning to buy a KV34XBR910. Can someone recommend a good HDTV tuner. I can not get Sat, since my condo faces east and my cable provider does not offer HDTV. I need to get it over the air.

·
Registered
18 Posts
The new LG is the best tuner I have seen yet.

I have a custmer who lives far outside of Chicago. He has a Samsung, Dish Network, and a LG tuner.

The LG is the only tuner that will tune in CBS.

Plus the LG has awsome video output. Use component not DVI on a XBR910. I have calibrated 3 of these sets so far and by far the the component is the best picture.

Thanks

Ryan

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the recommendation. I looked at the LST 3100A. I assume that I can use it for OTA with an antenna and replace my regular cable box and it will be ready when my cable company will provide HDTV(If RCN does not go out of business.) I also live in Chicago

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
For what it's worth, I definitely recommend e-mailing or calling your cable company before you plunk down the green on an OTA box (if you plan on getting HD cable of course). Just based on a couple random experiences, I imagine a number of providers have plans of rolling out HD services in Q1 and Q2. I know I have a (comparatively) fly-by-night provider with a very rural coverage telling me HD's on it's way in April, and my brother (a couple hundred miles south), has been told february by a different company. Then again (and as I understand it), there isn't a lot of cable-exclusive HD content on system's just yet, so for the time being (and if you can pick it up), OTA may be the best option.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Well an over the air HDTV picture hd looks better than cable.

The LG DVD/STB does not look as good as the stand alone LG STB.

But cable gives you more channels.

Thanks

Ryan

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the input. I like the LG STBs, because they seem to connect through a DVI. Which one should I get for OTA first of all. If it is cable also will it hook up to any cable company. I have RCN, but it looks in shaky financial shape. if it goes then Comcast will probably take over

·
Banned
3,539 Posts
The new LGs will work with any cable system that uses unencrypted QAM for the local HD channels, they always encrypt the other HD channels though. In my area Cox encrypts all HD even locals - so you have to use their cable box. But Time-Warner cable doesn't encrypt the HD local channels, but it doesn't carry all of the availble HD channels either.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.