AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to figure out how, a couple hours after a tv show has been broadcast on the east coast, it is available as an avi or mkv file on torrent sites.

Any time I've tried to convert, it takes hours to process.

What can I use to convert an mpg or ts recording to an avi or mkv fast? Reducing or not reducing file size isn't as big of an issue as speed.

Can someone help?

·
Registered
912 Posts
Most of those shows are direct captures of either satellite (dishnetwork) which uses h264 compression for its HD feeds or they are captured using the HD PVR which also compresses using h264 on the fly. Either way no conversion is required since the original stream is already in h264, just some minor editing and error correction. Then just mux in .mkv container.

Now full conversion while retaining quality does take time unless you can use hardware encoding. Both Nvidia and ATI offer tools to use some of their GPU to do hardware encoding. How good these tools are I don't know but things are improving. I am hoping sometime soon hardware encoding will become easy and with good quality and speed.

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
 MCEBuddy is a beta program that is able to take DTS-MA or WTV files and convert them to h.264. It is beta, though, and still buggy. I was never able to get it to work under my Vista install - would always get a mencoder fault. Haven't tried it on Win7 yet.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zagor /forum/post/16881901

Most of those shows are direct captures of either satellite (dishnetwork) which uses h264 compression for its HD feeds or they are captured using the HD PVR which also compresses using h264 on the fly. Either way no conversion is required since the original stream is already in h264, just some minor editing and error correction. Then just mux in .mkv container.

Now full conversion while retaining quality does take time unless you can use hardware encoding. Both Nvidia and ATI offer tools to use some of their GPU to do hardware encoding. How good these tools are I don't know but things are improving. I am hoping sometime soon hardware encoding will become easy and with good quality and speed.

Which program do I use to mux to an .mkv container?

Also, if I wanted to reduce a 8GB h264 TS file down to a, say, 800MB-2GB AVI file, what would be the best to use?

·
Registered
912 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo541 /forum/post/16882520

Which program do I use to mux to an .mkv container?

Also, if I wanted to reduce a 8GB h264 TS file down to a, say, 800MB-2GB AVI file, what would be the best to use?

To mux to .mkv container you can use mkvmerge which is part of MKVtoolnix (freeware).

Avi just like mkv is a container (albeit with a lot more restrictions of what you can put in it). You need to understand the difference between containers and encoders. You use encoders to compress video and audio while containers allow you to place elementary streams (like video, multiple audio tracks, subtitles, etc..) inside them. AVI can contain video streams encoded with a variety of encoders. The most common being xvid/dvix. Anyway, the most important thing to do first is determine what encoder you want to use and then choose the best container for it. MKV is probably the most versatile container and I would stay with that. Regardless of what encoder you choose you will have to re-encode to get a file size down to less than 2GB from 8GB. I would stay with h264 as the video encoder (it is the most efficient). The only reason to switch to xvid is for compatibility reasons but h264 is gaining and becoming very, very compatible with hardware players.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts